Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Open source firmware

2»

Comments

punchedoutpunchedout United StatesPosts: 29
    edited March 2019

The benefit is displayed in the forum post on the preen where users suggested a change, Implemented it, and then it became an officially supported update to the firmware quickly:

http://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69326.0

Also I just stumbled across this which for me is very exciting because I miss having max/MSP without Ableton:

http://www.axoloti.com/

I am a consumer.

The benefit to me personally are the following:

https://opensource.com/article/17/8/enterprise-open-source-advantages

I have displayed a real life example through the forum post and products I have shown.

Post edited by punchedout on
    duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

@muleskinner said:
    Just out of interest - can anyone name me a piece of music hardware where open source development has been of significant benefit?

The Organelle is a piece of hardware built around pre-existing open source music software (Pure Data), and its users have benefited significantly from community contributions. This is a very different situation from the Deluge though.

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

@duelinmarkers said:
    The Organelle is a piece of hardware built around pre-existing open source music software (Pure Data), and its users have benefited significantly from community contributions. This is a very different situation from the Deluge though.

That's a very good one.

Seems like very few examples exist though (apart from a few esoteric projects).

I have dealt with an awful lot of open source projects. I know the benefits in theory but in practice it often doesn't work out. It's an awful lot of work maintaining a genuine community-based open source project and what you tend to end up with is 'forks' managed by individuals which represent a bunch of interesting alternatives rather than a single, improved 'whole'. This can be interesting in itself but I think the Deluge is too complex a piece of hardware for that approach to really work out.

It does work out sometimes (I use an open source project for the bulk of my development work) but it needs a lot of time from a lot of dedicated individuals to make it happen.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

@muleskinner said:
    I have dealt with an awful lot of open source projects. I know the benefits in theory but in practice it often doesn't work out. It's an awful lot of work maintaining a genuine community-based open source project and what you tend to end up with is 'forks' managed by individuals which represent a bunch of interesting alternatives rather than a single, improved 'whole'. This can be interesting in itself but I think the Deluge is too complex a piece of hardware for that approach to really work out.

I don't think there is a will to fork the work of the deluge. even if it would be possible. And if somebody would fork, I personally wouldn't want to use it.

And people talking about opensource shouldn't go with the "everything has to be a whole new world" idea. Just let's face this: The Deluge is awesome and if there would be an opening to opensource, people could send in not only ideas they could send in code, tables, patches and so on. The maintainer, in this case Synthstrom, would decide what will come into the project and what not.

For example people could work on the reverb effect, that it would sound not that metallic, while the developer(s) could work on improving the code or on new features. The work could be shared with people that are skilled enough.

The "I had so much bad experience with" doesn't help, even that i'm sorry for you, that it didn't work out in that areas you where searching. On the other hand, there are so many many projects, that are pointing in an completely other direction like success. It all depends on the community and the maintainer.

You know, even if the Deluge would become OpenSource, Synthstrom as maintainer has no obligation to only take one single patch of the community

It does work out sometimes (I use an open source project for the bulk of my development work) but it needs a lot of time from a lot of dedicated individuals to make it happen.

Yes and even if there is nobody sending in patches, you donn't lose anything. You only can win, because a lot people just like "there is the possibility" chance.

I had a typo in my text: "Deluve" ... and I luv it ;)

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@OnoSendai said:

@muleskinner said:

I don't think there is a will to fork the work of the deluge. even if it would be possible. And if somebody would fork, I personally wouldn't want to use it.

And people talking about opensource shouldn't go with the "everything has to be a whole new world" idea. Just let's face this: The Deluge is awesome and if there would be an opening to opensource, people could send in not only ideas they could send in code, tables, patches and so on. The maintainer, in this case Synthstrom, would decide what will come into the project and what not.

For example people could work on the reverb effect, that it would sound not that metallic, while the developer(s) could work on improving the code or on new features. The work could be shared with people that are skilled enough.

The "I had so much bad experience with" doesn't help, even that i'm sorry for you, that it didn't work out in that areas you where searching. On the other hand, there are so many many projects, that are pointing in an completely other direction like success. It all depends on the community and the maintainer.

You know, even if the Deluge would become OpenSource, Synthstrom as maintainer has no obligation to only take one single patch of the community

Yes and even if there is nobody sending in patches, you donn't lose anything. You only can win, because a lot people just like "there is the possibility" chance.

I had a typo in my text: "Deluve" ... and I luv it ;)

I like your enthusiasm for open source @OnoSendai. Linux is the most used os for servers. Open source beats commercial.
    I dislike your lack of doubt just releasing the source code could be harmful or irrelevant. I work as a software developer and i have no clue what it takes what Rohan did. I do know it is an awful lot. U underestimate what it would take to learn a huge undocumented code base and be able to contribute. Yeah, some people would tinker around with it, and some bugs could get fixed. You dont know what it means to maintain code, it is not like somebody can send a patch and it is done. Working as a dev team takes time and a lot of communication. Anyhow Synthstrom surely had to put in a lot of work and time for this and take away time for feature development. I prefer the last, let the man work and do his magic.
    Unlikely to be harmful, seeing a 150$ Deluge copy in a chinese online store is very unlikely but i have seen this happening to other products.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

@amiga909 said:
    I dislike your lack of doubt just releasing the source code could be harmful or irrelevant.
    [....] Unlikely to be harmful, seeing a 150$ Deluge copy in a chinese online store is very unlikely but i have seen this happening to other products.

Ok, what could happen? Like you said, this is very unlikely. So we are on the same page, aren't we?

You dont know what it means to maintain code,

I know it exactly because I'm working in an opensource project in my free time.

it is not like somebody can send a patch and it is done.

Who said that?

I prefer the last, let the man work and do his magic.

Everybody I can remember that wrote in this thread has the same opinion. If you read carefully, a lot people just want to offer their help.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin