Just plain, simple Audio Thru please!

9

This seems like a no brainer to me. My favorite method of sampling is to sit down and let the audio run through the sampler while I listen for the moments that I wish to sample. Currently, even with the 1.2 update, there is no way to do this on the Deluge without an external mixer or splitter of some kind. Within the "monitoring" setting screen the available settings right now are "smart," "on," and "off." I think a "thru" option in this section would be very useful. Bonus points if you can apply internal effects to audio thru.

Comments

  • 3
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayPosts: 118

    I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but I believe you can just use the so-called Resampling feature to achieve what you want :)

    Make a new kit to sample to. Treat the first pad a 'blank' - just load any whatever sample, then go to the Sound editor and set the OSC1 type to IN.
    Then enter a C3 note, and make it a 'drone' (hold the leftmost pad as you enter a note, and press the rightmost pad).
    Hit PLAY, and run your audio through - now you can press Shift + Record whenever you wish to sample as you go :)

  • 0
    DocRomplerDocRompler Pittsburgh PAPosts: 19

    @Icoustik said:
    I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but I believe you can just use the so-called Resampling feature to achieve what you want :)

    Make a new kit to sample to. Treat the first pad a 'blank' - just load any whatever sample, then go to the Sound editor and set the OSC1 type to IN.
    Then enter a C3 note, and make it a 'drone' (hold the leftmost pad as you enter a note, and press the rightmost pad).
    Hit PLAY, and run your audio through - now you can press Shift + Record whenever you wish to sample as you go :)

    Wow. This is a very clever workaround. It actually works! I didn’t realize you could change the oscillator type to anything other than sample within a kit. Thanks!

  • 0
    DocRomplerDocRompler Pittsburgh PAPosts: 19

    @DocRompler said:

    @Icoustik said:
    I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but I believe you can just use the so-called Resampling feature to achieve what you want :)

    Make a new kit to sample to. Treat the first pad a 'blank' - just load any whatever sample, then go to the Sound editor and set the OSC1 type to IN.
    Then enter a C3 note, and make it a 'drone' (hold the leftmost pad as you enter a note, and press the rightmost pad).
    Hit PLAY, and run your audio through - now you can press Shift + Record whenever you wish to sample as you go :)

    Wow. This is a very clever workaround. It actually works! I didn’t realize you could change the oscillator type to anything other than sample within a kit. Thanks!

    Edit: Your suggestion does work for kit tracks but it is not possible within the synthesizer. Here’s what I mean. Currently I have it set up so that my midi keyboard is sending midi into the Deluge on which midi thru is set to “on.” The midi from the keyboard is sent through the Deluge and into a synth module that I want to use as the audio in source for one of the oscillators within the synth. In theory this would allow me to use the synth module as an oscillator. However, the Deluge is set to transpose incoming audio according to the notes it has sequenced. Basically what this means is that the notes I play on the keyboard triggers both the Deluge and the external synth but the audio that comes into the Deluge is transposed and the pitches don’t match up since the Deluge assumes the audio coming in is a C3 even if it isn’t. I don’t want it to be transposed, I just want the audio to come though unaltered so that I can use the external synth as an oscillator. Thus my request for just plain audio thru as an oscillator without transposition.

  • 0
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayPosts: 118
    edited October 5

    Ok, so for sampling it works, but not for this ?

    Can u describe once more exactly what it is you want to achieve ? :)

    If u want to use the external synth as u say, u're not using it as an oscillator, u're using it just as an audio in/ thru.
    Why do you want it in a synth track if you're not gonna transpose anyway?
    Can't u just take the synth track, enter one drone note, then play the external synth? If u want to record the playing, u could just resample.

    Or maybe I'm way off :)

    Post edited by Icoustik on
  • 1
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayPosts: 118

    BUT, yes a plain audio thru would be nice in any case! :D

  • 1
    DocRomplerDocRompler Pittsburgh PAPosts: 19

    @Icoustik said:
    Ok, so for sampling it works, but not for this ?

    Can u describe once more exactly what it is you want to achieve ? :)

    If u want to use the external synth as u say, u're not using it as an oscillator, u're using it just as an audio in/ thru.
    Why do you want it in a synth track if you're not gonna transpose anyway?
    Can't u just take the synth track, enter one drone note, then play the external synth? If u want to record the playing, u could just resample.

    Or maybe I'm way off :)

    I think I’m just not really describing what I’m trying to do very well. I appreciate the effort to understand though. Let me try to make it more clear.

    Imagine that a synth track on the Deluge can send out midi note messages. If it could then you would be able to sequence the Deluge’s internal synth and an external synth with the same sequence simultaneously. So if a sequence is playing in this case then both the Deluge and the external synth are playing the exact same notes at the same time. (You can simulate this with an external midi keyboard by setting midi thru on the Deluge to “on” and setting the external synth and the Deluge to the same midi channel. Thus the Deluge and the external synth are triggered simultaneously by the keyboard)

    Now imagine that you plug the external synth into the audio input on the Deluge and set one of the oscillators in the Deluge to “audio in” and the other to sawtooth. As it stands right now the Deluge automatically attempts to transpose incoming audio from C3 to whichever note its sequencer is playing. What this means in practice is that the pitch of the sawtooth with not match with the pitch of the incoming audio from the synth unless the note being played is a C3. Basically the pitch of the incoming audio is way off because the automatic transposition uses C3 as a reference point, even if you’re not playing a C3.

    If you could simply turn transposition off (i.e. simple audio thru) then the pitch of the internal synth would match that of the external synth. This would allow you to use the external synth as an oscillator without pitch issues. Of course, however, right now the Deluge can’t send midi out from a synth track so you would have to do this with an external keyboard and midi thru. It it could, though, this would be a really powerful way to combine the Deluge with external gear.

    Is this any clearer or did I just make it worse?

  • 1
    workergrayworkergray Posts: 112

    so-- you want the deluge to control the notes of the synth by midi, not the notes of the audio coming through, so you can just use one track instead of one for the midi note control and another for the audio in-- correct?

  • 0
    DocRomplerDocRompler Pittsburgh PAPosts: 19

    @workergray said:
    so-- you want the deluge to control the notes of the synth by midi, not the notes of the audio coming through, so you can just use one track instead of one for the midi note control and another for the audio in-- correct?

    Yes. Exactly. If a synth track could send midi out and use un-transposed audio in as an oscillator that would achieve what I’m looking for.

  • 1
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayPosts: 118

    Yeah, I see what u mean bro-man :)

  • 0
    workergrayworkergray Posts: 112

    that would only work if you were using 1 external synth at a time as audio input. assuming multiple devices were sub-mixed back to the deluge input, all the audio input from all the external devices would be coming out of all the audio-through channels for each midi track (max 16). that might get out of control very fast

  • 0
    DocRomplerDocRompler Pittsburgh PAPosts: 19

    @workergray said:
    that would only work if you were using 1 external synth at a time as audio input. assuming multiple devices were sub-mixed back to the deluge input, all the audio input from all the external devices would be coming out of all the audio-through channels for each midi track (max 16). that might get out of control very fast

    Well... yeah but I’m not looking to run more than one synth through the Deluge simultaneously. That’s what mixers are for. Just 1 will do. I suppose theoretically you could do this with more than one but that’s not really my point.

  • 0
    workergrayworkergray Posts: 112

    however, this could free-up a mixer channel (or 1 stereo channel) and allow for deluge-type control and effects over a particular, perhaps beloved external synth.

  • 0
    workergrayworkergray Posts: 112

    I'll upvote this. could come in handy!

  • 0
    DocRomplerDocRompler Pittsburgh PAPosts: 19

    Thanks!

  • 0
    alien_brainalien_brain DetroitPosts: 31
    edited October 9

    this would be a great new feature

    Post edited by alien_brain on
Sign In or Register to comment.