Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Song mode? Arranger mode? Not sure I’m quite getting it.

NiktuNiktu MelbournePosts: 6

Ok, new Deluge owner here. I’m a guitarist who needs a decent song mode, so I can play along to my songs live. Straight forward enough, yeah? Then, riddle me this...

Is there a way to create completely different A, B, C, etc song sections to create a complete song in Deluge? ie two chords playing a verse, a different set of chords for a bridge, another set for a chorus, different lengths, etc?

I find the current nomenclature and process a tad confusing, though I admit as I’m writing my problem here, the penny might already be starting to drop. Bare with me.

The currently titled “song mode” to me, resembles what a song section should look like. Then it would make sense to simply append the different sections in an “arranger” to create a complete song. That’s what my brain is accustomed to. But there is only one ‘song mode’ which kills that notion.

I’m starting to think that what I need or want is not possible exactly per se, but might be able to work around it somehow by creating the new chord progressions within the same “song mode” and then creating new clips with the same instruments but different chords, to compose the different sections? Perhaps it’s not a “workaround” and that’s simply how Deluge does its ‘song mode’? Do I have this right?

So as it stands, if I want, say, a ‘B Section’ I’d need to create a new groove, new bass line and new chord parts, all within the same ‘song mode’ alongside (or underneath) my nicely crafted ‘A Section’ with all its parts, and then use the arranger mode to drop the right clips in the right place to achieve a full song? Do I have this right?

If so, this ‘song mode’ is going to be get really hard to keep track of for writing traditionally structured songs. Anyone have experience with this approach? Can anyone tell me what I have right, wrong or enlighten me to what I’m missing?

Sincere thanks, all.

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited August 2020

So if you press song 2x, you enter the arranger mode (song light blinks as opposite to just on) where you can arrange clips much like in a daw. The Guidebook, page 150 in the pdf.
    https://synthstrom-audible-deluge.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/Deluge-Guidebook-3p1.pdf

Post edited by volsteh on

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

miaouxmiaouxmiaouxmiaoux ScotlandBeta Tester Posts: 68

"So as it stands, if I want, say, a ‘B Section’ I’d need to create a new groove, new bass line and new chord parts, all within the same ‘song mode’ alongside (or underneath) my nicely crafted ‘A Section’ with all its parts, and then use the arranger mode to drop the right clips in the right place to achieve a full song? Do I have this right?"

Yes, although you can hold down a row and press another row to copy and paste - this will also change the track's 'group' colour in song mode (represented by the Audition / Section buttons) , so you can launch them all together as a section. This 'group' colour is mirrored in the arranger mode, so you know which sections are which. You can either place the clips manually in the arranger, or by pressing REC + SONG while in Song mode, can record yourself switching between clips, or groups of clips, in Song mode.

So I tend to get a nice verse or chorus section together in Song mode, then copy and paste everything and arrange it underneath (hold a row and use vertical scroll) and change chords, rhythms etc for a different section. Maybe do that three or four times. Then record an arrangement into Arranger mode, as detailed above, switching things in real time. Hope that helps!

Thx miaouxmiaoux, yeah, that’s the confirmation and insight I needed, thank you.

Yeah, I think the penny was dropping for me as I was typing out my dilemma, but was still unsure.

Thx for both responses. That’s given me the ‘ah’ moment I needed. Cheers.

@miaouxmiaoux said:
    "So as it stands, if I want, say, a ‘B Section’ I’d need to create a new groove, new bass line and new chord parts, all within the same ‘song mode’ alongside (or underneath) my nicely crafted ‘A Section’ with all its parts, and then use the arranger mode to drop the right clips in the right place to achieve a full song? Do I have this right?"

Yes, although you can hold down a row and press another row to copy and paste - this will also change the track's 'group' colour in song mode (represented by the Audition / Section buttons) , so you can launch them all together as a section. This 'group' colour is mirrored in the arranger mode, so you know which sections are which. You can either place the clips manually in the arranger, or by pressing REC + SONG while in Song mode, can record yourself switching between clips, or groups of clips, in Song mode.

Just thought I’d highlight this bit in case others find it useful in their early days with Deluge. This got me rolling. Big thanks.

miaouxmiaouxmiaouxmiaoux ScotlandBeta Tester Posts: 68

No worries man! Glad to be of help