Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Playback Bugs while Tracking Audio

impurfektimpurfekt USAPosts: 22

I received my Deluge last week and have been using it furiously since then. Had some odd behavior initially but it resolved when I updated to the latest firmware. MIDI editing has been very quick and rock solid. LOVE it. That said...

Last night I was tracking audio from my synths and encountered some odd behavior. Some of which I was able to reproduce.

The first thing that happened was, I recorded about a minute and a half of a synth in Arranger mode. Then I hit stop. Then I hit play. The Deluge immediately locked up and I had to power cycle to recover. First time that's happened.

After that I made sure to save the project every time I tracked a synth part; before I played it back. No more crashes. Granted, I didn't try hitting play right after recording a part 'cause I didn't feel like making it crash again. I guess when I feel masochistic I can try and repeat the crash.

The second oddity I noticed and was able to repeat was; any time I played a tracked synth (so an audio track about a minute and a half long) in Arrange mode until it stopped on it's own (at the end of the arrangement) I'd have to hit play two times before it would play again. As in; the whole Arranger mode would not play when I hit play the first time. Only the second time. Which got a bit annoying because I was mixing three synth parts at the ending of the arrangement and don't know how to loop a portion in the Arranger. So I'd hear the end, make a mixing adjustment, hit play, then have to hit play again. This behavior was the same whether I had it play from the beginning or somewhere in the middle. If the Arranger played an audio track until it stopped itself I would have to hit play twice to get the Arranger to play again. This happened to me probably 16 times in a row without fail.

I can make a video of this behavior if that helps. My guess is it's something to do with cueing the audio files. Since last night I've copied all my files over to the original SD card I received with my Deluge. I'll see if it behaves any different than with my own card (128GB). Since I'm constantly going to be tracking synth audio and mixing it I'm going to be testing the audio tracking and playback features thoroughly.

Comments

edited June 2020

Okay. Tried the factory card. It didn't lock up immediately after recording (tested that once).

However it did lock up twice while playing back a tracked synth part. Both times I was listening to a middle portion; stopped; scrolled back a bit; hit play. Deluge locks up but the lights are still on. Happened twice but not on the same file and not every time. I have an inkling it happens less when I just slow down my key presses. When I give it a couple seconds before I play a track after recording or moving around it doesn't crash. Edit: again this is all while working in the Arranger.

I don't know enough to guess what's going on but it's certainly not ideal. Moving around and playing worked better with my own card. According to label they are both the same speed (90MB/s)

Anyone else working with longer audio tracks? (like 1-2 minutes)

Post edited by impurfekt on
    edited June 2020

Okay. Maybe I'm narrowing it down.

With two tracks of existing synth audio I managed to play with no lockups. Once I added a third it locked up nearly every time I hit play (a few times in a row even). However, when I'd hit record it would play fine as I recorded a fourth track of new audio.

Something else I noticed is if I add one of my synth audio tracks to a clip and play in clip view the audio is distorted. The pitch and speed sound right but it's just garbled; like playing audio when your CPU isn't up to task. It also locks up in clip view if I move forward into the audio file and play from that position (not from the beginning).

Post edited by impurfekt on