Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Find Kit Sounds & Samples More "Visually"

HAINEZeeHAINEZee United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 21

Scrolling thorugh an alphabetically sorted list of drum samples is pretty uninspiring. How about being able to view a random selection of sounds from the content of a "Drum Folder" (either one containing a range of different drum types or a sorted folder, as organied by the user - e.g. "Snare" or "Kick") across all 128 pads when loading a new sample into a kit? These could then be tapped until you find an appropriate sound before clicking "SELECT" which would select the most recently pressed sample? Seeing the way that XO by XLN works prompted this idea, perhaps colour could be applied according to the sonic properties of the sound too? https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/xo

Comments

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326
    edited April 2020

I'm not sure, if I understand you correct, so I describe what picture I got, when I read your post. Maybe it is the same, or maybe it is a little different.

Since sample folders can get very huge, the current way of searching and visualizing samples is really not helping. It's funky that it shows the wave form while scrolling through a list of samples. That's ok if you just have 10 samples per folder and you don't have more than hipster like "look mom, it blinks" expectations.

So in terms of practical use and speed up your workflow it would be great there would be another way and representation how the whole "loading samples" works (and as well the presets, if they will eventually get a folder structure).

A simple way would be, when starting finding new samples from your sd card would be: press load

1. the 128 pads light up with a representation of a file manager.
    2. Every folder or file is represented by 1 pad. Beginning on the top left corner and ending in the bottom right of the last page you can scroll to.
    3. Folders are represented by red or blue pad
    4. Files are represented by a yellow pad
      With this representation you have your whole file structure directly available with one finger tip. So, how to use it:
    5. pressing on a folder pad shows the name of the folder, additionally pressing the selelct knob opens that folder.
    6. the first pad on the top left is the "up a folder" pad represented by a green color
    7. pressing a "file" pad shows the name in the display and plays that sample, as long you pressing the pad. If your release the pad, it stops playing it
    8. While playing that sample it may could show the waveform on the whole pad. The waveform disappears, when the pad is released.
    9. Loading a sample would be: holding down the pad and press the select knob.
      This wouldn't be only a extremely faster way of finding and loading a sample out of a huge sample directory. It would be vastly more intuitive to understand.

Is this around your thoughts?

Post edited by OdoSendaidokai on

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

Yeh, that's probably a much clearer and better way of putting it Odo! This would make finding samples for inspiration so much better, and you could still use the regular method of alphabetical listing if desired. In my mind, this way of tapping around a sea of samples would be a great way to hit on something new! I like your suggestion of folders and samples denoted by colour - good idea!:)

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

The same could be taken for the presets with maybe playing when holding down a pad, while the name of the song is displayed.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

This request here is also looking for a different approach to searching "randomly" for samples rather than the basic A-Z/0-1 approoach: http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2929/browsing-samples-randomly#latest