Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Random + Probability (akin to Arturia gear)

MyrkMyrk Bristol, UKPosts: 93

Not sure if the Deluge's architecture is written in a way that could take it (could be wildly complex), but on some arturia gear there is a Randomness and Probability scroll wheel - the first specifies how whacky the randomness gets and the 2nd determines the probability that the randomness will occur. Have to say this feature (with 2 controls) was an amazing feature on the Beatstep pro and DrumBrute - after coding a simple line and turning randomness to say 10% and probability at 20% you get drum grooves and synth lines that sound much more like a real person as there are variances in the play rather than rigid to what has been coded. Can't stress how awesome this feature is, and if it was on the Deluge it would be incredible!

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

edited August 2017

I saw that, but that's conditional triggering, which is kinda the opposite of random and probability right? Even the name conditional suggests that it is most definitely not random - it's triggering based off conditions the user sets rather than inspirationally adding to the sequence. I don't have an elektron, but everything I'm reading suggests that is what is going on. That being said I +1'd that post, because it's a good development as well.

Post edited by Myrk on
    jonnosanjonnosan Posts: 6
    edited August 2017

@Myrk said:
    I saw that, but that's conditional triggering, which is kinda the opposite of random and probability right? Even the name conditional suggests that it is most definitely not random - it's triggering based off conditions the user sets rather than inspirationally adding to the sequence. I don't have an elektron, but everything I'm reading suggests that is what is going on. That being said I +1'd that post, because it's a good development as well.

Of the 'conditions' can be the result of a random selection. i.e. a conditional event can occur say every 4th bar, or on each bar with a say 25% probability. In the later case, it's random which bars get the event triggered on, but it will average out to about a quarter of the bars.

Post edited by jonnosan on

I recently got a bit of education from a user on the facebook page about the random and probability - as long as it has all the features I'm cool with Elektrons approach, but for me the key is "random" not just straight up conditional, as that in theory can already be done with a lot of duplicating bars and tweaking/adding notes. :)

22tape22tape Posts: 43
    edited February 2018

So do these probability functions operate as note generators? Or do we still have to input the notes as normal, then the probability/conditions effect the those preprogrammed notes?

Post edited by 22tape on
    MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    Preprogrammed notes.
    22tape22tape Posts: 43

Great, thanks!