Merging clips and/or workflow suggestion
Hey everyone. Been working on a track on my Deluge this week, and have come to a point where I don't think it can do what I want it to do, which is a first! But maybe my workflow is bad. So I'd like some help. The situation:
1) I make a 4 bar beat using kit preset. The kick drum, snare, hats etc are all in one clip.
2) In song mode, I copy the beat and make a bunch of different versions with arrangement variations
3) I start arranging the beat in arrangement mode with these different versions. Periodically I also make white clips for smaller, song specific changes.
So I've now got four minutes of a beat in arrangement mode, consisting of lots of different clips from song mode and some white arranger-specific clips. What I'd like to do now that's finished, is isolate the kick, and send it to a CV out, so I can change the kick sound. What's the quickest and easiest way to do this? There are two problems - the drums are all in one clip, whose identity (MIDI / kit / CV etc) I think can only apply to the whole clip as opposed to individual sounds. And that identity is clip specific, and I've got 9 or 10 different clips that I'd need to change individually. As far as I can see:
1) I could go through every clip in the arrangement and copy it, and delete the other drums, then go to the original clips and mute the kick. Then change all of the newly created kick-isolated tracks to a CV clip. This seems tedious.
2) If there was a clip merge option, like cmd J in Ableton, I could merge all the clips on the drum channel, then would only have to copy and isolate the kick once.
3) I could change all the drum clips to MIDI and dump the full pattern into Ableton, then dub the kick back onto the Deluge as one long clip. Probably the quickest solution I've come up with but it seems stupid.
Any tips? What am I doing wrong?