Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Notes and automation on separate tracks. Why not?

LarsDanielLarsDaniel DenmarkPosts: 21

First: Sorry if this has been debated, but could not find anything of relevance.

I had great fun today with my Mordor NF-1m synth being sequenced from Deluge. I set up 16 CC parameters on the Deluge that I played with and recorded on a 4 bar clip. Then I realized it would be much more interesting, if all the automation was not repeating in the same time frame as the notes, so I cloned the clip and erased the notes from the new one, and erased the automation from the old one. Then I set the lenght of the automation clip to be 1/8 shorter than the one with the notes. This worked like a charm and sounded fabulous.

Then I wanted to do the same thing with a Deluge synth, only to find, that it is not possible to assign two clips to the same synth preset. Bummer. This seems like a wonderful opportunity missed.
I am sure there are some technical reason behind this limitation, but I think there is a strong argument for overcoming those limitations. And they should be overcome, if you ask me.
Obviously, it gets messy, if two clips are sending the same notes or the same automation at once, to the same target, but how about doing this:
Make a shift-clone clip function that creates an automation clip, that will hold the automation from the original clip (if any) but no notes. And after the cloning, the original clip will have no automation (if there was any), and no automation can be made there.
Now we can set the automation clip to a lenght that differs from the note clip, and beautiful non-repetiveness will prevail.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

notes and automation in separate clips is interesting. wicked effects possible if note and automation clips have different lengths. reminds me of modular sequencers.
    it relates to the popular demand of editing automation events http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/899/step-automation-view-automation-drawing-track-long-envelope-drawing#latest. if u elect separate clips for automation u need to consider a visualization in the grid imho. before i want to have different length or mutable automation clips i need a way to view and edit automation in the first place.
    separate clips could be the solution for this indeed, worried about cluttering up space quickly. could get very messy to know which parameter clip is for which notes clip. maybe as clip rows that can expanded but stick to a note clip, similar to a DAW.

I just found this in the manual:

“ Clips which have the same synth, kit, or MIDI or CV channel may only play one at a time. Launching a clip will stop any other clips with the same “instrument”. This is designed to make it easy to perform tasks such as switching between basslines - just launch the bassline that you wish to hear, and the previously playing one will stop at the same time (provided they use the same synth preset). “

So it seems that the only reason we can not have two clips playing the same internal synth, is to make it easy to switch between parts.
    Please make this an option, so we can select whether we want the present behavior OR a multiple-clips-to-one-sound behavior.

I realize now, that I should have posted this in the subforum for firmware suggestions. Is there a way to move this topic there?

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326
    edited January 2020

Do you mean this behavior? http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2452/is-this-synth-feature-removed-in-fw-3-0-off-topic-discussion/p1
    We had that and then it was removed in firmware 3.x for the favor of the more complicated "pressing more buttons to reach the same" .. I still don't get the reasons, why this is better for a "live device".

Post edited by OdoSendaidokai on

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

I have been told now, that even then, you could not have to clips going to the exact same synth, so no, not the same.

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

This is one of those tricks that can be achieved (awkwardly) with MIDI tracks and running a MIDI cable out from the Deluge and right back in again.