Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Saving presets... confusing

I don't understand something... if I'm saving a kit preset with 5 rows of sounds, saving it under the name SA. Then I can load this preset in another clip/section but it's not the same... if I load the preset "SA" that I just saved it has like 18 rows of sounds... I tried a couple of things with the "CLOned" option but it just creates a SA_2, which appears now in the first clip to... so confusing... I just want to load my new SA preset with the 5 row of sounds in another clip/section. Thanks!

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Hmm, what you try to do should work. The "Cloned" approach is correct if you want two independent instruments with your SA kit. Can't exactly see where it goes wrong in your example, sorry. Not your fault, i dont think anybody would agree this is a sweet spot on the Deluge, a thread like this pops up every 2-3 months.

Conceptually I see 2 confusions:

• the rows structure in a kit instrument is independent for each clip. so, if you have your preset SA with 2 clips, you add or remove a row, it does not affect all clips of that instrument.
    • it is impossible to reload a kit preset as it stored on disk without using the "Clone" approach. Clone does generate 2 separate instruments though. so you can't save a kit clip and reload that in another clone of that clip. neither in a clip of a different instrument. there are workarounds for this but it is a hassle. the reason behind this is that a preset is always stored per song which has the big advantage you can't fuck up a song by changing a preset in another song.

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2526/all-parameter-changes-affect-all-clones
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/9369

ClydePaquinClydePaquin Montreal, QuebecPosts: 27
    edited December 2019

Thanks amiga909, yeah I just saw the posts regarding this... happy to see that I'm not alone having a hard time with those issues :) the fix for my specific problem here was in the manual, the new sounds (row) added in the preset have to be added in the other clips with that same preset... and the sounds (rows) already there that I deleted in the first clip have to be deleted in all the other clips... the love/hate relationship goes on ;)

Post edited by ClydePaquin on
    amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@ClydePaquin said:
    happy to see that I'm not alone having a hard time with those issues :)

likewise :)

the love/hate relationship goes on ;)

love? for sure.
    hate? too strong for this topic :)
    yeah, it sucks to have some wtf moments with the Deluge. On the other hand it is a unique implementation, while making it hard to align clips, Deluge makes it very easy to create variations. Deluge embraces change. I have given up to align subtle sound details between clips of an instrument for e.g. EQ or Pan - if it is about the same, I’m good to go. Why not, who said EQ or Pan should not have subtle changes now and then? :)

ClydePaquinClydePaquin Montreal, QuebecPosts: 27

@amiga909 said:
    who said EQ or Pan should not have subtle changes now and then? :)

You're right... maybe even take advantage of this to make NOT subtle changes... in fact I'm precisely trying to be less of a perfectionist...