Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Strange Sidechaining issue - vol duck linked to reverb amount/hpf...

BrawnyBrawny UKBeta Tester Posts: 18

Hi all,

I've been having issues with a particular track I'm been working on related to the sidechain behaviour.

I have a kit track with the kick s/c send at 50 (I did also set the duck on the same kick to -12 to give it a little more punch, but removing that hasn't changed the unwanted behaviour). All other settings are default for the kit.

I then have a synth track (which is some 200 bars long), which is set to duck against the kick, and has some LPF automation recorded against it (although clearing that didn't help). The envelope's release time varies between 0 and 9 and the intention is to have a 'little' reverb on it.
The issue is that if I lower the reverb towards 25, the s/c effect disappears completely, and below that, the sound starts rising instead of ducking. My first instinct was to go to the synth's duck and clear any automation and possible assignment to the reverb parameter I might have accidentally recorded, and to remove the -12 on the kick's duck too. But the odd thing was that if I lowered the synth's reverb using the shortcut instead, it started rising again, as if vol duck was also linked.
If I set the synths duck to a negative value, it then starts ducking again, but alas, if I raise the reverb amount above 25, the sound starts to rise again - almost as though they were ying-yang of each other!
I also have the same behaviour when altering the HPF on the synth, which is also definitely not patched to anything.

I'm guessing even with some patching, this behaviour shouldn't be possible to implement against HPF and reverb parameters at the same time. I've been through all the shortcuts on the synth, and none of the blinking pads suggests this patching exists. Clearing all automation on relevant settings hasn't helped either.

Now, if I recreate these two tracks from the same presets in a fresh song, I can't seem to reproduce the issue, so I'm assuming I've done something to cause this, but I'm at a total loss after hours of trying and really didn't want to rewrite the track. After the time I've now spent on this, I'm actually prepared to cut my losses. My worry is whether or not this will start to happen again.

I imagine I did something odd or perhaps the deluge has got a little confused with assigning negative values and the issue has somehow 'stuck'.

If I get the ducking sounding OK on the synth, save the song, power cycle then load it back, it seems to rise once again, seemingly at an automation interval on the track.

I'm happy to send an XML if you might happen to have a moment to look through it. I won't deny that I could certainly be wrong, but it does seem like a bug to me.

Regardless, thanks for a superb bit of hardware. I am really getting a lot of enjoyment out of it.