Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Linear style automation in arranger (not jumping back to original value after recording)

Currently, any automation added to the arranger, will act like temporary parameter motion: whenever the recording of the automation stops, the affected parameter will jump back to the "original" value.

I think that it would be WAY more useful when any automation in the arranger view will be linear, so when the recording stops, the parameter will stay at the latest value of the recording, and not jump back, until the parameter possibly will get affected by automation (or manual tweaking) again.

This way, it is a lot easier to record automation in the whole timeline so you can easily build up the tension etc. with automation without having to create a separate clip, just for the automation.

I'd love to hear how you guys think about this.

Comments

pikeypikey IrelandPosts: 17

Completely agree. The automation seems to be only tied to clips, which quickly becomes a maintenance burden. This makes doing things like fade in/outs, long filter sweeps etc a pain, as you need to ensure the clip is long enough, and that you have a duplicated clip so you can switch to the clip without automation.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

when i want to apply automation in Arranger, i always convert the clip into a white instance first. i make the clip as long as i want the automation. works quite well for me.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

@amiga909 said:
    when i want to apply automation in Arranger, i always convert the clip into a white instance first. i make the clip as long as i want the automation. works quite well for me.

Ok but what happens after that clip? It will jump back to the original value

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited October 2019

@MPrinsen said:

@amiga909 said:

Ok but what happens after that clip? It will jump back to the original value

i agree its confusing automation is not linear in Arranger. remember another thread about this, an Arranger-only per-instrument automation per default would be more intuitive i guess. on the other hand its logical now: automation is tied to clips and the only way to get a long fade in is to have a long clip. of course this way i likely end up with tons of clip dupes that only differ in automation and if i want to change something like a different sample i have to go over a tons of clips manually, likely forgetting a few.

to explain my workaorund:
    1bar drums clip should get a fade in over 8 bars in Arranger

• add clip once in Arranger and lengthen to 8 bars (not insert clip 8 times!)
    • shift + pad to make the white instance
    • record volume 0 to 50 over 8 bars

edit: thats only about instrument automation. comsidering automation of the master effects, i think there really is a huge void, some sort of automation editing or at least visibility for the master effects is completely missing.

Post edited by amiga909 on