Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Connections to allow the Deluge to be controlled by 3 other hardware devices

synchrosystemsynchrosystem Greater Los AngelesPosts: 10

Hi all,

Rookie here, first post. I'd like to achieve something I assume is simple enough for those more well acquainted with the Deluge and with Midi than myself.

I'd love to be able to connect to the Deluge:

• an Arturia Analog Experience The Laboratory (I know it's meant to be combined with software, but I was gifted it) to use its keyboard to play/trigger sounds on board the Deluge
  • an Akai MPX8 to play/trigger kit drum sounds on board the Deluge (for me, much better pads for finger drumming than Arturia or Deluge)
  • a Behringer BDF2000 Fader unit to use to control levels of clips within a song, like a mixing desk

I assume I'll want to go out of the Midi Out of the 3 devices into the Midi In of the Deluge. When I've plugged the Arturia or the Akai directly into the Deluge in this way, it works. I've guessed that to plug in the 3 devices at the same time, I'll need a Midi Thru box.

The first Midi Thru box I tried was the Midi Solutions Quadra Thru. Neither device was able to 'learn' Midi controls when used with the Midi Thru box, even though it worked when each was plugged into the Deluge directly (with no Midi Thru box).

So I assumed either of the Akai or Arturia were under-powered, and next tried a Kenton Thru-5. Still nothing?

Any advice pls? Help! :)

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

if you want to control the Deluge with 3 controllers at the same time you need Midi. Maybe possible via USB too, but not sure about that. I'd get a Midi Merger. Like this one https://kentonuk.com/product/merge-4/
    A Midi thru box is for dispatching a Midi Out signal to multiple Midi Ins. You want to dispatch multiple Midi Outs to one Midi In.

synchrosystemsynchrosystem Greater Los AngelesPosts: 10

Amiga909, I believe you nailed it! Thanks so much.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@synchrosystem said:
    Amiga909, I believe you nailed it! Thanks so much.

Midi merger indeed, but also via USB using a simple USB hub + a routing device like an iphone/ipad with an app like Midiflow. This can be done with old models like iphone 5, or ipad mini 1, which are super cheap second-hand :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

good input to try with a USB hub. surely cheaper.
    havent tried if USB host mode works well with USB hubs. you probably need a powered USB hub for USB powered devices like the Akai MPX8 .

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited October 2019

@amiga909 said:
    good input to try with a USB hub. surely cheaper.
    havent tried if USB host mode works well with USB hubs. you probably need a powered USB hub for USB powered devices like the Akai MPX8 .

It doesn't currently, as the whole USB code needs to be changed to directly host hubs. But Rohan has expressed that he wants to do it eventually.
    Yes, powered hub is a must!

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ