Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Keyboard Mode Drum Machine for Kits

I was reading through the other suggestions and I don’t think anyone posted this but if someone did a while ago I’m sorry!

Basically for me one source of mild frustration has been that live drums on the deluge can be a little annoying with the 8 rightmost pads. Since the deluge already has a built in button for a keyboard mode, we could just repurpose that button as something of a live midi input button.

The workflow I have in mind is roughly the following:

• Clicking the keyboard button in a kit switches to a view which is either blank or had all of the samples in the kit light up a different color on the pads in a row.
  • Pressing any pad of a given color plays one of the samples from the kit.
  • I was thinking something like holding shift and pressing a pad would have the pad blink and you could browse for a new sample to load into that pad
  • If that sample is already in the kit, another trigger for that sample will be added in the same color. This allows you to allocate small groups of pads for faster finger drumming and ease of use
  • I was thinking maybe shift + learn and a pad to delete that light from the layout.
  • New colors would be selected automatically but maybe holding the pad and turning the left right knob would change the color ( the sample would stay the same though )
  • One of the other posts mentioned using the rightmost set of pads as a velocity slider and I think that would be super useful for this too
  • When you save a kit, it would save the layout of the pads as well including their colors and the samples they point to in the kit
  • All of the samples loaded into the grid also get loaded into the kit

Generally, I think this would create a nice workflow for live sample-based music and probably inspire a lot of creativity since you would be able to assign a color and sound to all of the pads individually. Anyways just an idea but I’d love to hear your thoughts! I love my deluge and can’t wait to see what they come up with next :smile:

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

great call. afaik never opened in a dedicated thread, thanks.
    seems so obviously missing.

good layout ideas, for starters i d be happy with any layout. if i can play more than 8 samples at once i am happy.