Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Session view (ableton style vertical channels)

If there was a way to view the tracks in vertical rows, each pad in that row could launch a loop making it possible to have many sequences to choose from within a single midi/drumkit/synth/audio channel. It’s really tedious/limiting to have to create a new channel for each sequence rather than one channel to house all that instruments sequences

Comments

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

I'm not really sure, what you mean with channels? You can color code with the audition pads and you can work with clones. Your view is instead of vertical horizontal. If you don't like it, just turn your Deluge 90° anti-clockwise, then it is vertical ;)

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

HollexHollex FrPosts: 12

MaZmiTh: I absolutely think the same... and many, many, many other users too: ;)
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/343/song-view-should-work-like-ableton-lives-session-view/p1

OdoSendaidokai: This suggestion is about a performance clip view (aka Ableton). A vertical view is just a way to gain a better overview (you can see the double amount of channels/tracks at once).

MaZmiThMaZmiTh new yorkPosts: 7

@OdoSendaidokai said:
    I'm not really sure, what you mean with channels? You can color code with the audition pads and you can work with clones. Your view is instead of vertical horizontal. If you don't like it, just turn your Deluge 90° anti-clockwise, then it is vertical ;)

What I mean is, cloning a channel takes up another space in the template. What I’m saying is if we were able to house a clip within a single pad instead of the whole horizontal row it would be a game changer . That way you could easily change loops right within a single row and setting it up vertically would allow for an audition pad to launch a whole new set of clips. Hard to explain I guess if you’re not familiar with ableton session view. It would be huge.

Ah ok I understand what you mean. So we would need additionally to the Clip/Song/Arranger view a fourth "Session" view based on "reduced to one pad and vertical" Song view.

I'd even say ditch the current arranger and make it based on the session view and scenes just like in Ableton Live. This software is popular for a reason.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited September 2019

@Hollex said:
    MaZmiTh: I absolutely think the same... and many, many, many other users too: ;)
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/343/song-view-should-work-like-ableton-lives-session-view/p1

OdoSendaidokai: This suggestion is about a performance clip view (aka Ableton). A vertical view is just a way to gain a better overview (you can see the double amount of channels/tracks at once).

i like this sketch by mprinsen
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/uploads/editor/7o/7dwwu323y4jc.png
    i agree this would be more useful for Song mode, for me at least. if i could choose, íd replace current Song mode with the sketch concept and change:

• blinking light (or coloring) on clip indicates total clip length and when last step is reached. Deluge clip launching system depends on being able to see how long clips are. if a 4 bar clip is playing and u switch to a 2 bar clip (same instrument), launch is triggered either on 4/4 of the first clip or 2/4, it is NOT always 4/4 as u might expect.
    • every row is a section and the order is fixed. in the image „complete row“ would not exist. instead of assigning a section to a clip, i would reorder a clip.

personally, i dont really see a 4th mode, 3 views (Arranger, Song, Clip) are already quite complex. and since Arranger is a linear sequencer it had to replace Song mode. no clue if this is realistic, whish they had done this from the beginning. Song mode gives a lot of freedom to order and color clips but in the end it is more of a duty of keeping clips organized. for example i always group clips of the same instrument. Session view would end this, instrument grouping is forced.

Post edited by amiga909 on

@amiga909 said:
    personally, i dont really see a 4th mode, 3 views (Arranger, Song, Clip) are already quite complex. and since Arranger is a linear sequencer it had to replace Song mode. no clue if this is realistic, whish they had done this from the beginning. Song mode gives a lot of freedom to order and color clips but in the end it is more of a duty of keeping clips organized. for example i always group clips of the same instrument. Session view would end this, instrument grouping is forced.

I agree. Was thinking about how to display in a "Ableton Session" view polyrythms and thought maybe do it then vertically, or blinking in different colors in different speeds. But since this "only" a view - I know UX is a very complex task- , why not add it as forth view? So you can choose what you like most or what you need at the moment. Song view has its advantages as well.

modus0perandimodus0perandi SwedenPosts: 5
    edited October 2020

removed this post since it wasn't contributing to this discussion.

Post edited by modus0perandi on

@modus0perandi said:
    --post moved to

Sorry?! There is nothing moved! Just because YOU decided it for yourself. So please don't post bullshit here.

Link it, mention it, that there is another idea, but don't try to hijack or spread lies.

Thank you.

modus0perandimodus0perandi SwedenPosts: 5
    edited October 2020

@OdoSendaidokai said:

@modus0perandi said:
    --post moved to

Sorry?! There is nothing moved! Just because YOU decided it for yourself. So please don't post bullshit here.

Link it, mention it, that there is another idea, but don't try to hijack or spread lies.

Thank you.

chill out. i wasnt trying to hijack anything. I wrote that post in the link here first, and realized i was arguing for something that wasnt really related to this, thats why i moved/removed it (and posted a new one). i can remove the link here if you wish, its not like i really try to steal the show so to speak.
    peace.

edit; for what its worth, i DID try to delete the post before i updated it with the "post moved" message, out of respect of not disturbing this conversation. Deletion was not allowed however.

Post edited by modus0perandi on