Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How do you organize Song View?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Just curious which ways others go, haven't found a way I stick to every time.
Deluge on its own gives much freedom but it doesnt with an organized Song view.
Do you keep Song View tidy, sorting and coloring clips all the time?
Do you have a workflow you stick to?
I've seen:

• put a "blank clip" (just a clip without notes) to separate groups of clips (for example: if next clip is a cloned track dont put an empty track, if it is a new instrumet, put an empty clip)
  • group per section: all clips that belong to the same section are grouped together.

Many thanks for inputs!

Comments

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

So far I've been grouping all clips from the same section together. I also try to keep them in the same order (ie, drums at the first clip in a section, then bass, etc.).

iFreilichtiFreilicht GermanyPosts: 39

What really dooesn't work is to put all clips of one instrument next to one another.

One very useful feature can be muting sounds in kit tracks. So if you have a section where only sounds from the drums come in over time, unmute them one after another instead of creating a separate track for every variation you wanna play.

@p_wats said:
    So far I've been grouping all clips from the same section together. I also try to keep them in the same order (ie, drums at the first clip in a section, then bass, etc.).

Yeah, I did the same thing. Now with Arranger things changed a bit for me, I plan to use Arranger for the next live performance. Before Arranger I played section by section in a live performance, now with Arranger I switch between Song and Arranger mode to extend a part in the Arranger (you can "loop Arranger" by going back to Song mode and reenter Arranger mode in sync). Sorting by section color doesnt do the trick for me anymore as an Arranger part can contain multiple different sections.

@iFreilicht said:
    What really dooesn't work is to put all clips of one instrument next to one another.

Why you mean it doesnt work? I've started doing that now, adding a blank clip between instruments. The idea is I'd be able to do variations live in Song mode, for that knowing which clips are clones is essential.

One very useful feature can be muting sounds in kit tracks. So if you have a section where only sounds from the drums come in over time, unmute them one after another instead of creating a separate track for every variation you wanna play.

True, guess the most important thing to keep an overview is to be thoughtful about which variations should make it to a new clip and which variations are best performed live. Deluge isnt a DAW and I delete much more stuff than I would in a DAW: reduce to the max.

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Below is a post I made on one of the Facebook groups about how I plan for live sets when I am playing the Deluge by itself (ie: like in this video -highlights- of a 1-hour Deluge only set) . I am doing a 45-min Deluge only set tomorrow night and doing a very similar set-prep at the moment.

In regards to setting up a live set when only the Deluge is being used. It takes me around 30 mins to prep it which I’ll do the night before. I’ll select the songs I’m going to play and the order they (might) be played in.
    I’ll then resave the best version of each song to the “left of the dial”, ie when turning the Select Knob left. Ie, I might save song 25H to 90, song 40E to 91.

Once I’ve saved the set. I’ll then start setting up variations of them to use in a set. I have a “system”
    My whole number save, 90, 91 etc is my fave version for the start of the song, usually a couple of pads, some texture.

I’ll then save an “a” variation which is the same as as the whole number but with a "4 on the floor" basic kick pattern unmuted.
    My “b” “basic” variation is JUST the basic kick pattern unmuted, nothing else.
    The “c” “cool” variation is just the bassline (from previous song) and basic kick unmuted
    “D” is a “drop”, usually just a big hook or arp unmuted
    “E” is, haha, the “ecstasy” moment, basically the most banger variation of the song
    “F" is “fucked”, some weird variation…an odd beat, strange timings on the tracks. I barely cut to these live as I prefer to mess the tracks up live, but if I want to throw people…I like to have it there.
    Though I usually colour code and order/organise as I go, I usually just go over the tracks once more and make sure they correspond to my system.

From top to bottom:
    Top: a “live” keyboard track (multi-coloured)
    2nd: Drums - always includes a 4 on the floor kick pattern (green)
    3rd/4th: Bass variations (usually a basic pattern and then an alternate version) (blue)
    5th: A hi-hat pattern (I have one in the “drums” as well, but I also keep one separate for easy affecting from song view - as I like to mess with hi-hats lots in a set (yellow)
    6th: a textural thing (orange)
    7th: something paddy/drony (red)
    8th: melody/hook (purple) - might have some variations of this, or additional melodies - I'll group them together.
    9th: Arp (green)

I never really have more than 10-11 tracks in a song, because I improvise so heavily, I find this is more than enough to jam on for ages.

Using this set-up if gives me the ability to be seamless if I want, though generally I avoid that. Haha, this answer is long enough, if people want to know about being seamless (or not), improvising etc…ask away.

thanks @Ian_Jorgensen
    loads of insights. what ive seen from ur performances it works great for you. i like the way you associate your subsongs - will keep an eye on your "e" songs :) yeah, i also resave the songs to new preset slots so i dont get caught playing the wrong song. also like your system of instrument ordering. def. have to rethink my system for my clip ordering.

2 questions:

• have made some Arranger parts and i dont see how subsongs and Arranger can be combined, do you use Arranger at all for live?
    • also the subsong approach seems to need more re-adjusting of clips? always feared the hassle of getting more duplicate clips?

what I like about the Arranger is that i can re-use clips without creating dummy dupes. For example a 4/4 kick is assigned to section red and there is a bassline with 2 clips (sections red and blue). now in Arranger I can have the 4/4 kick play with both bassline clips without the need to duplicate the 4/4 kick.
    you wrote 10-11 clips? per subsong or in total? i am around 30 clips per song. good point overview is easier if there is less to memorize. guess it is the Deluge way to leave more variations to performance (as Freilicht said for muted drums), have to think about this more.

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited April 2019

I don't use the arranger if I'm honest. I'd find it weird not triggering enough things live (personal preference). If I was using other gear I'd use arranger for sure and then tweak params on the other devices, but with just one device, and live, there is no real need, haha, it's easy to control the Deluge even with just one hand ;)

I also find no need to have additional clips above the 9-10 , I make changes on the fly...like, I'll usually just a 4/4 kit...i'll then just add in some random percussion as I feel it, mute parts in the kit as I feel the room etc, rather than have a bunch of variations of pre-prepared kits. I find the idea of having too much set structure a real problem as you have no idea what the room is going to be like on-the-day...so my technique is just to have some raw tools, then depending on what the atmosphere is like, to improv my way to making the room party. I can usually jam 6-8mins on 9-10 clips easy.

Obviously making songs for recording its a very different thing, but I've found, for my own workflow, that I need to keep a live performance very fluid for it to connect.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on