Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

External transpose control: values don't change

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

I learned two knobs on an external MIDI controller to the transpose of OSC 1 and 2. It worked fine, but I was surprised not to see the displayed transpose values of either OSC change as I twisted the knobs, though I could hear the OSC frequencies changing. Can anyone explain what's going on here? Will the controller-set transpositions persist with the sound even though the display says they're both transposed to 0.00?

Best Answer

Answer ✓

@udeluge said:
    I've assigned other parameters to external MIDI controller and the value change don't show up on the display.

Even when you select the parameter being adjusted via the sound editor menu or shortcuts?

Answers

I poked around at the .XML files on the SD card. The synth with the oscillators pitched by the external controller ended up with these elements, which most synths don't have.

<oscAPitchAdjust>0xBA000000</oscAPitchAdjust>
    <oscBPitchAdjust>0xDA000000</oscBPitchAdjust>

I guess learning a controller to transpose actually learns it to this other parameter that's hidden from the sound editor menus. Maybe this allows for smoother-than-cent sweeps when its assigned to a gold knob. With a MIDI controller the adjustments are pretty coarse.

Hopefully I'll find time to delve more deeply.

udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

I've assigned other parameters to external MIDI controller and the value change don't show up on the display.

facebook is evil

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@duelinmarkers said:
    I poked around at the .XML files on the SD card. The synth with the oscillators pitched by the external controller ended up with these elements, which most synths don't have.

<oscAPitchAdjust>0xBA000000</oscAPitchAdjust>
    <oscBPitchAdjust>0xDA000000</oscBPitchAdjust>

I guess learning a controller to transpose actually learns it to this other parameter that's hidden from the sound editor menus. Maybe this allows for smoother-than-cent sweeps when its assigned to a gold knob. With a MIDI controller the adjustments are pretty coarse.

Hopefully I'll find time to delve more deeply.

Normal CC's (127 steps) will produce steppy, coarse pitch shifting, while pitch bend messages (14bit, like a proper pitch wheel or joystick) will produce smooth bends (for synth tracks, whether synths or samples loaded) - the Deluge's pitch bend range is 12 semitones.

Yes, the transpose parameters (sound editor and externally assigned) are separate from each other :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ