Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Exchange Roland TR8S and Squarp for Deluge?

therockfrogtherockfrog Seattle, WAPosts: 4

Hi,

I have a Squarp Pyramid and Roland TR8S. I use my Pyramid to sequence a Roland system 8 and Behringer Model D and the TR8S.

Can I sequence my System 8 and Model D using the Deluge to separate tracks and then use the Deluge for the drum tracks,...hook those 3 out to a mixer and record all 3 together sequenced by the Deluge. I assume so but if I can use the Deluge as my drum machine, then I can sell the Squarp and the TR8S and have some extra money for some other things...and simplify my setup a bit.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Sure. You can do all that with the Deluge. Deluge has stereo outs though. TR8S has multiple outs and you can individually assign out drum sounds. A bit more flexibility with Squarp + TR8S. Squarp has polyrhythmic capabilities and so does the Deluge, but I believe the Squarp has more in-depth abilities plus Euclidean rhythms and also midi fx.

You would be downsizing your setup by one device, but also downsizing some sequencer abilities while gaining synth and expanded sampler abilities with the Deluge.

If at all possible, maybe you could save for the Deluge and then compare after buying and keep what you need. Look at inputs and outputs on the Squarp too compared to Deluge. CV/Gate I/o, number of midi ports, etc.

Squarp has more going on there. USB Midi can be used at the same time as two midi DIN ports out, midi DIN in, cv/gate in, cv/gate out

Squarp looks like a more robust sequencer, but I would have to compare both to see how much more as the Deluge now having Arranger mode and record to Arranger features from song mode and keeps expanding in capabilities rapidly. How fast does Squarp update Pyramid software and fix bugs? Deluge support is top notch.

I was going to buy a Squarp Pyramid when I saw the Deluge presentation for new 2.0 features. I bought at version 1.4 but now updated to 2.1.3 and looking forward to additions and bug fixes in upcoming 3.0. They really crank out feature requests quickly at Synthstrom Audible. Still would love to play around with a Pyramid and compare.

propellpropell NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 17

I just got the Deluge and I'm definitely going to sell my Squarp. I'm tired of bugs, white lit buttons, weird workflow and awkward shortcuts. The Squarp is powerful, but the Deluge is fun, visual and immediate. Workflow is everything. :) I'd even choose it over Push 2.

The TR-8s, however, I'm hesitant to sell. Tweakable drum sounds vs samples.. I like being able to do both. The Deluge is so fast and versatile though. You can run a whole bunch of kits at once.

therockfrogtherockfrog Seattle, WAPosts: 4

Ya....I'm selling the Squarp but still not sure about selling the TR8S. I really enjoy it but I only need a drum machine for production, not live playing, and I only need the drum kits as is, nothing tweaked, at least not yet.

I had a lot of fun playing with the DrumBrute impact so I might sell the TR8s and get the Deluge and then get the Drumbrute for some fun drum machine stuff....I dunno.

I really want to get a drum pad and play everything myself but I just aint good enough for that.

DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

@therockfrog said:
    Ya....I'm selling the Squarp but still not sure about selling the TR8S. I really enjoy it but I only need a drum machine for production, not live playing, and I only need the drum kits as is, nothing tweaked, at least not yet.

I had a lot of fun playing with the DrumBrute impact so I might sell the TR8s and get the Deluge and then get the Drumbrute for some fun drum machine stuff....I dunno.

I really want to get a drum pad and play everything myself but I just aint good enough for that.

If you're not going to tweak kits, why not just sample the TR8S kits into the Deluge & sell it then? Though stereo outs for drums is a real buzzkill.

I own both. If I had to choose one in isolation, I would go with the Deluge because of its overall package & versatility. I mean, it's a complete production box that runs on batteries. Take it camping, wherever.

The Pyramid has now been finished ... no more updates so it is what it is. The Deluge is still being developed but dudes are tight-lipped about what's coming down the pipe so if a feature is missing now, no idea if it will be implemented later.

The portability, synth & sampling functions are all very important to me in choosing over the Squarp which does nothing but sequence. But if you're only using it in the studio, a large part of that is irrelevant.

Sequencer vs sequencer, it's much much closer. The Deluge's power is all upfront & accessible .... 128 buttons over 8 rows is a dream to program. Love being able to see 8 drum tracks all at once vs x0x style. Arranger mode is great when it comes to tracking & missing from Squarp. But the Pyramid has a bunch of little things that add up to big workflow productivity ... instrument presets so you can "call" up your TR-8S & all the midi cc controls will be mapped. MIDI FX are great & the whole reason I still have the box. Overall, it's whole purpose is to make your life in the studio easier whereas the Deluge isn't as focused & you feel that once you're in the studio nitty-gritty.

I generally use the Deluge mainly out of circumstance as it's a great scratchpad & once the bones of a track are in place, it's a hassle to port it all over (& no .mid files either). But there's usually a bit of pain involved to bring it over the finish line. The times I've used the Pyramid mostly, there seemed to be less pain.

I find it great to use both of them together. Pyra-midi allows patterns on the Pyramid to be triggered by midi notes from the Deluge so variations, MIDI FX, etc can all be combined with Deluge's conditionals to great effect.