Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules & guidelines

Edit over USB

30

What would be great is if the Deluge showed up as a disk drive so I could load/edit samples directly on the SD card without having to take it out.

Comments

  • 0
    strych9strych9 Palm Springs, CA

    That's one of the major things I'd like to see. Would make it so much faster and easier to load up samples.

  • 2
    rpc9943rpc9943 New York usa

    and for firmware :)

  • 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 0
    strych9strych9 Palm Springs, CA

    this one is sadly starting to be a bother for me. With my MPC I can just load it right up on my PC quickly, for transferring samples and doing file management. With the Deluge, even though it's not a SUPER huge deal to have to unplug the card, load it up on my PC, safely disconnect it, plug it back into the unit, it is just a slow enough process to be discouraging. It prevents me from being able to easily play with sound and samples, back up my songs, load firmware, etc. Which then makes me turn to my MPC more often. Any little thing that gets in the way ends up being troublesome for creation. Would truly love to be able to easily connect to my PC for access!

  • 0
    amiga909amiga909 Switzerland

    Would be cool to have for sure, not a big issue for me as I dont have the Deluge connected to a PC when making music.

  • 0
    strych9strych9 Palm Springs, CA

    @amiga909 said:
    I dont have the Deluge connected to a PC when making music.

    I don't either, but I do have a massive library of samples on my PC, and editing them is so much easier on it, so when I have a particular thing in mind it would rock to be able to swiftly get it onto the machine.

  • 3

    To be honest, this feature sounds rather complex (from a developer point of view) while it is just for convenience. A workaround could be using two SD cards which are swapped. Or you could just use a random MIDI controller hooked to your DAW to trigger your 80 GB sample lib ;P

    In my point of view the main strength of the deluge is the ability to perform standalone without using a computer and I hope the development has strong focus on this.

  • 0
    strych9strych9 Palm Springs, CA

    Point being though, that I don't keep my hardware hooked to the computer, generally. The Deluge is standalone and that's its strength. It's a pain to get the card in and out, though, and I'm afraid of doing it too much and damaging the unit over time. Being able to connect to a device via USB for librarian usage isn't anything new, it's been around for a long time now.

    The fact that I avoid taking the card in and out as much as possible means I don't use the Deluge as much as my other devices that are easier to work with. I understand that for some people it may not be a priority, and that's totally cool. It is important to me, though, and that's why I am posting in this thread.

  • 1
    amiga909amiga909 Switzerland

    @strych9 said:

    @amiga909 said:
    I dont have the Deluge connected to a PC when making music.

    I don't either, but I do have a massive library of samples on my PC, and editing them is so much easier on it, so when I have a particular thing in mind it would rock to be able to swiftly get it onto the machine.

    Agreed, editing sample is a use case. Software editor is mentioned in the sticky post too. It would be rad if we even could live edit samples, means saving a sample via USB while Deluge is playing the sample. So you would not have to reassign a sample. Might not be possible due to IO conflicts.

  • 2
    mbangmbang Gothenburg, Sweden

    Edit over USB is in my opinion a low priority update - sure it would be easier to just connect a cable between deluge and a computer, but just for moving samples and doing file structure changes i think it qualifies as a "luxury" update and there are many other things that i´d rather use the dev´s time for.

    Just pulling out the SD card and insert it into a computer is quite simple.

  • 0

    32 people want this. I hope you're not suggesting they couldn't figure out the SD card.
    As to what priority it has, I'll leave that to the Synthstrom Audible team.
    if you don't like the suggestion, you don't have to vote for it. And commenting on it just bumps it to the top.

  • 1
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, Canada

    @strych9 said:
    Point being though, that I don't keep my hardware hooked to the computer, generally. The Deluge is standalone and that's its strength. It's a pain to get the card in and out, though, and I'm afraid of doing it too much and damaging the unit over time. Being able to connect to a device via USB for librarian usage isn't anything new, it's been around for a long time now.

    The fact that I avoid taking the card in and out as much as possible means I don't use the Deluge as much as my other devices that are easier to work with. I understand that for some people it may not be a priority, and that's totally cool. It is important to me, though, and that's why I am posting in this thread.

    All good points, and it is a serious consideration. I like to be able to have files organized on my laptop, and in the case of the Deluge, I'm thinking about assorted banks of samples, sounds, songs, etc.
    Do you know if anyone make a device which plugs into an SD slot, and perhaps has multiple slots (like a USB hub) - which can be activated separately?
    That way, there'd be less wear and tear on the SD slot on the hardware.

    Food for thought...

  • 0

    Another consideration is: the sampler plays directly from the SD card. If you're playing a song with samples, you DON'T eject the disk to add more-- you wait.
    Granted, it's probably a rare circumstance to need to load new samples on to the card while a song is in play, but in such a circumstance this would be an invaluable feature.
    I think most devices that use SD cards that also have USB connectivity usually show up as an external drive just for the aforementioned reasons and others.

Sign In or Register to comment.