Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Custom drum kits, how?

madeinspacemadeinspace AustraliaPosts: 6

Hi guys,

whats the best way of importing your own samples and building your own kits? thanks

Comments

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

I don’t know best, but this is my method-
    I create a folder titled DRMS, only four letters so it can be easily read on the Deluge display. I am not using any of the supplied drum samples, so I am creating all new kits. If I wanted to save the included samples and kits, I would have to make sure to number my kits to follow the Deluge kit presets.
    I creat subfolders inside my DRMS folder for my kit samples. There is a kit 00, so KIT00, KIT01, KIT02 etc.
    I use 16 samples for every kit with each drum triggered by the same note, so the kick is on C in every kit, the snare on C# and so on.
    Files are named with kit number, then note “number” so for kit00- kick is 0001, snare is 0002, closed hat is 0003...
    For kit01 kick is 0101, snare 0102, closed hat 0103...
    I always add BD to the kick file name so the Deluge will automatically associate the kick with the sidechain. Kit00 kick will be 0001BD, for instance.

File naming might become less of an issue now that Rohan is implementing a qwerty keyboard. I don’t know if that will allow us to rename samples, though, so I decided to be organized.

Load my DRMS folder into the SAMPLES/USER folder on the SD card
    Put the SD card into the Deluge, press SHIFT + KIT
    Scroll and press until I am inside my KIT00 folder
    Press and hold the main select knob until a menu appears
    Scroll to “ALL”, press the knob
    The kit will be loaded with my samples in a row, bottom to top. For me that means kick on the bottom, then snare above it, hats above that, etc.
    Now I set levels, pan, add effects and save it as KIT00
    (press the select knob, display reads “osc1”, press the save button, turn the knob to select a location, press save again)

I’ve made a dozen kits from my favorite samples plus four percussion kits. It’s easy once I get my samples sorted, named, and into folders. I think it’s fun.

madeinspacemadeinspace AustraliaPosts: 6

Thanks heaps, I'll try your method :)