Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules & guidelines

PERFORMANCE ANXIETY - issues with the Deluge

0
WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 120

Just spent a shipload of time preparing tracks and sounds for a live performance of an original track, to be done at an event.
I was just one of many performers, so I had only a limited amount of set up/check time.

One of the main components of my 9 minute track, was a vocal track, which I imported as one long audio file.

I spent over an hour trying to get through my performance (in a rehearsal) and **NEVER ONCE got through the 9 minutes without the vocal sample cutting out. **

Strange, because I had very few synth/sample voices happening simultaneously.
In some cases, my vocal sample would stop playing within the first 30 seconds of the 'song', although there was very little else going on - certainly should not have been an issue. Not a complicated song - very little effects, etc. going on.

Finally, I had to give up on the idea of doing a 'live performance' of the track on the Deluge.
Very sad and frustrating. I'm curious what similar types of things other people here may have experienced.

I really love this little box, but in order for me to perform 'live' in front of people, my gear needs to be really really solid.

Happy to hear suggestions or feedback....

Comments

  • 0
    pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 78

    Frustrating!

    I doubt I can help, but I wonder did you import the sample into a kit or as an oscillator? If into a kit, what were your sample settings (once, cut etc)? Does this happen with other samples of similar length? Is your sample the native 24/44.1 or is there conversion going on? Is the sample being pitch-shifted or stretched?

    There are a lot of possibilities. Have you searched the forum to see if other users have similar issues? Definitely file a bug report and start a dialog with Rohan if you’ve done the trouble shooting and are still having problems. It helps everybody.

  • 0
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 120

    The sample was uploaded into a Kit, so there would be minimal processing - no conversion - PB mode set to 'Once'

    I have uploaded a few hundred samples into my Deluge, but this is the first one of great length.

    Thanks for responding. I will file a 'bug' report as well.

    w

  • 1
    VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 144

    Did the sample cutoff in time with other longest track looping?

    How long was the sample play time as a wav?

    Did you try cutting it into a few samples for performance after coming to this limitation?

    Probably if you send the relevant song xml and samples to Rohan, he might be able to figure out why it doesn’t work. Maybe email him and see if he can look at it. Support on the Deluge is very good.

  • 0
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 120

    The sample length was almost 12 minutes.

    I later broke it down to a 4:00 bit, but even then, sometimes it's playback would stop before the end.
    I guess it's possible that at some point I hit the max processing/sample data streaming from the SD card, but it's really frustrating that there isn't some way to create a priority track, or sample.

  • 1
    cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 139

    @Will said:
    The sample length was almost 12 minutes.

    I later broke it down to a 4:00 bit, but even then, sometimes it's playback would stop before the end.
    I guess it's possible that at some point I hit the max processing/sample data streaming from the SD card, but it's really frustrating that there isn't some way to create a priority track, or sample.

    There is a 'priority' pad on the Deluge, that can be set to low, med or high.

  • 0
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 120

    @cypher79 said:

    @Will said:
    The sample length was almost 12 minutes.

    I later broke it down to a 4:00 bit, but even then, sometimes it's playback would stop before the end.
    I guess it's possible that at some point I hit the max processing/sample data streaming from the SD card, but it's really frustrating that there isn't some way to create a priority track, or sample.

    There is a 'priority' pad on the Deluge, that can be set to low, med or high.

    Wow, I hadn't realized that. Thanks so much.

    I guess I'll have to dig through the manual again and see if it resolves my issue.

    Appreciate you helping me out with this info.

  • 1
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandStaff Posts: 162

    Hey Will, the "kit" this long sample was in, were there a bunch of other samples in the same kit? Yes, to troubleshoot stuff like this, just get in touch and send us the files, its partly why we added the "collect all" feature. Playing a sample is this way is very much within the Deluges capability and you shouldn't have any issues with, so we should try and work out what is happening.

  • 0
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 120

    Thanks Ian.
    It was frustrating because otherwise, the machine has been a real joy.
    I tried having the long vocal audio sample as part of a kit (with other samples used in the track included), and then, tried a version where I had only the one, long sample in the kit.
    Neither of the options worked for me.

    I also tried to structure it so that vocal sample was the first thing that I triggered in the song, using it as the backbone.

    The sample stopped it's playback about 1 minute in, even though I had only a couple of other sounds happening, with very little processing (so there was no chance of exceeding a polyphony problem).

    It's possible that the issue was trying to stream quite a few different samples off the card at one time.

    Not sure.

    Either way, I ended up scrapping the whole thing - removing the contents from my SD card, and using another method to play the track at the event. Bummer, but not the end of the world.

    Thanks for contacting me.

    When I can find time, perhaps I'll try resurrecting the track and will update you to my experience.

    all the best

    Will Chapman

    Canada

    ;0)

  • 0
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayPosts: 461

    This is what the priority setting cypher mentioned is for :) Set it to high to sacrifice other processing in favor of keeping said sound on at (almost) all costs.

    And on that note - as Ian was touching on, if you have too many samples sitting around in a large project, they will take up 'overhead' CPU just by being there, so try to economize where you can :)
    I'm told that this issue will be further mitigated in future updates, and it already has been imroved alot from before.

  • 0
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 120

    @Icoustik said:
    This is what the priority setting cypher mentioned is for :) Set it to high to sacrifice other processing in favor of keeping said sound on at (almost) all costs.

    And on that note - as Ian was touching on, if you have too many samples sitting around in a large project, they will take up 'overhead' CPU just by being there, so try to economize where you can :)
    I'm told that this issue will be further mitigated in future updates, and it already has been imroved alot from before.

    ....All good info, thanks

  • 0
    VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USAPosts: 99

    If the sample were set to "timestretch" I wonder if would be different?

    also, you could trigger a copy of that sample partway through with a different start point ( to get a de-facto restart )

    I never would have thought to use one 9 minute sample. ; -)

    Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

Sign In or Register to comment.