Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Force same-voice tracks to play simultaneously

I'm loving my Deluge so far, but I ran into a tricky workflow problem that should have a simple solution, but doesn't appear to. My track has a lead part and I wanted to sometimes, but not always, have a simple harmony playing - the same voice playing the same melody on the 5th. I cloned the track, went into the new track and copy-pasted the notes to transpose, but couldn't make them play at the same time. Since the lead part was mono with some legato ties, I couldn't just sequence the harmony plus the original melody on the new track and switch between the two, either. What I had to do was save an identical variation of the preset from the original track and set the voice of the clone track to that preset - that way I could play my lead part and have the harmony come in whenever I wanted. However, those extra voices are going to add up quick, and it's tedious to re-save and reset the preset if I decide to make changes to the lead parts voice later on.

It would be much easier if there was a way to force certain tracks to play simultaneously with other tracks that share the same preset. In song view, you could use SHIFT+SECTION PAD+SELECTION KNOB you could change from CHOKe, the default behavior where launching a track will stop any other tracks with the same voice preset, to SIMUltaneous, which means that launching that particular track will not stop other tracks with the same preset. That way, if you have three lead tracks (lead1 on CHOK, lead1harmony on SIMU, and lead2 on CHOK), launching lead2 would cut off both lead1 and its harmony, launching lead1 would cut off lead2, and you could play the harmony over either. Each SIMU track would probably need its own row in the arranger view.

Apologies if someone else has already proposed this - I searched through the first few pages, but didn't see anything.

Comments

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

Simple solution here would be to resample one of the tracks, and use that new sample instead of one the cloned synths.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

was discussed here http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/6863#Comment_6863
    interesting suggestion. problem is then some track clones would also share track specific params and others dont, very confusing. track clones being a bit confusing already imho. Maybe allow routing of Midi tracks internally would be a solution.

RhyminGarFunkleRhyminGarFunkle Tucson, AZPosts: 16

@cypher79 said:
    Simple solution here would be to resample one of the tracks, and use that new sample instead of one the cloned synths.

Except for CPU management, how would that be a better solution than having the tracks use different numbered but identical presets? You'd need to resample every time you wanted to try out some sort of change to the notes or voice. But I've never used sampling much, I always feel like I'm missing out on some basic thing.

@amiga909 said:
    was discussed here http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/6863#Comment_6863
    interesting suggestion. problem is then some track clones would also share track specific params and others dont, very confusing. track clones being a bit confusing already imho. Maybe allow routing of Midi tracks internally would be a solution.

In that case cloning a preset might be the best solution available - that would also make it relatively simple to make any voice changes carry over to the cloned track, by saving the voice and changing the preset on the cloned track again. I wish there was some way to delete unused presets generated this way though, or maybe save some presets so they're only available to the current song.