Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules & guidelines

On providing support and forums through Facebook

asingleechoasingleecho CanadaPosts: 5

Hi Synthstrom,

I am a relatively new Deluge user. Love your machine. However, I am a bit disappointed that you seem to be encouraging a more active community through your Facebook group.

I, like many others, don't use Facebook and never will. My personal information and privacy are worth more than that.

You already have a great space to meet and exchange with your users: here! Make this the primary meeting space for Deluge owners and dreamers like me.

Comments

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placePosts: 115

+1

It seems daft, and it ain’t 2010 anymore! :D

Joking aside, official forums are a much better and more professional platform for user communities, sure a lot of companies* have social media accounts as well as official forums, but things like betas are catered for excludively on their forums, because well it is much better.

*except Novation, they actually ditched their own forum in favour of Facebook, along with any chance of me ever buying their products again.

mrrafsmrrafs ukPosts: 42
    edited December 2018

+1 knowledge shared is so much easier to find afterwards on a forum. Enforcing boundaries is also possible, price shamming is generally deleted/moderated on the main music forums and reddit. My first deluge user group posting got trolled in this way immediately. owch..

What facebook is good for is checking out jams on specific pieces of kit via their user forums.... (and wasting your time by not making music) lol

Post edited by mrrafs on
    ACHoJACHoJ CanadaPosts: 3

The only thing keeping me on Facebook is the Deluge community - which is crazy on many levels.

moosiqpiplmoosiqpipl Frankfurt am Main, GermanyPosts: 13

+1 !

((qp))

OnoSendaiOnoSendai BerlinPosts: 46

+1!

JDiamondJDiamond Brooklyn, New York Posts: 4

+1 not on Facebook either

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandStaff Posts: 165

Unfortunately Facebook was where we started.. Long before we had our own website and these current forums dont provide what we need for beta testing facilities and that is really all we do on FB that isn't here.

The 'closed' users group is pretty slow tbh.

If you need our support you just email us.

Beta testing will remain on FB for the next while at least, its really not easy to pick up and move something like that, not to mention the shit ton of work ive already done verifying people's identities which i will have to do from scratch again if/when we move here.

Btw. Facebook doesn't force anyone to use real identities. You can sign up to it and just use as you would any forum. You don't have to provide it with data, be "friends" with anyone or use it beyond how you would signing into any forum.

asingleechoasingleecho CanadaPosts: 5

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    Btw. Facebook doesn't force anyone to use real identities. You can sign up to it and just use as you would any forum. You don't have to provide it with data, be "friends" with anyone or use it beyond how you would signing into any forum.

Hi Ian, I appreciate your response and totally understand that managing a small business social's presence is a lot of work.

However, being privacy conscious, Facebook still does track you over the internet once you have logged in to their site with a fake identity or not. Their apps also collect private information (geolocation, contacts, phone logs) that are breaches of my privacy I am not willing to give up.

Just something to consider for your future interaction with customers.

amiga909amiga909 SwitzerlandPosts: 550

Yeah, setting up a fake account and submit a request for joining the beta FB group should not take more than 10 minutes.
    FB works great for me for following official news, posting quick impressions and bug reports.
    would not call FB a "forum" per se, its structure is more like a blog. structure of FB is not suited for discussing stuff in depth: no threads, no search, well, nothing at all thats older than 5 Minutes ;-)
    here i like we have a list with all upvoted requests over time, imho this is very valuable. we accomplished this here in collaborative work and i dont see how this can be done in FB groups.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placePosts: 115

@asingleecho said:

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

Hi Ian, I appreciate your response and totally understand that managing a small business social's presence is a lot of work.

However, being privacy conscious, Facebook still does track you over the internet once you have logged in to their site with a fake identity or not. Their apps also collect private information (geolocation, contacts, phone logs) that are breaches of my privacy I am not willing to give up.

Just something to consider for your future interaction with customers.

Agree 100% with everything quoted here, oh well at least now we know the reason and the possibilty that in the future FB may not be required.

JDiamondJDiamond Brooklyn, New York Posts: 4

Thanks Ian appreciate the response

edited December 2018

aye, we currently use these various platforms as they are suited best. These forums are perfect for collecting peoples ideas for software suggestions as things are catalogued and searchable easily. We also use Facebook because it is a far better platform for immediate engagement and the response/feedback we need for beta development.

Of course we don't want to put people in morally ambiguous situations, that is why both platforms are utilised - and you'll find there would be a ton of people who would be very disappointed if we exclusively moved our communication to this site away from Facebook which is massively convenient for a large portion of our user base.

We try to balance both, but also, we're only ever an email away if support is ever needed.
    Overhauling these forums is a longterm plan of ours, but the current format is not conducive to discussion, however, it serves it purpose in being an indexable/searchable stop gap for resources and ideas.

I am in daily communication with users on Instagram DMs, Twitter DMs, Facebook messenger, emails, website contact form, multiple FB pages and these forums - we give people many ways they can access us, there is no point limiting to JUST these forums.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 138

@asingleecho said:
    Hi Synthstrom,

I am a relatively new Deluge user. Love your machine. However, I am a bit disappointed that you seem to be encouraging a more active community through your Facebook group.

I, like many others, don't use Facebook and never will. My personal information and privacy are worth more than that.

You already have a great space to meet and exchange with your users: here! Make this the primary meeting space for Deluge owners and dreamers like me.

I'm with you 100%
    I am another Deluge lover who still refuses to go on FB, for a myriad of reasons.
    I would like to see Synthstrom act like other musical product manufacturers, and provide a portal (like this Forum) for it's users, not rely on social media!

edited December 2018

@Will said:

I would like to see Synthstrom act like other musical product manufacturers, and provide a portal (like this Forum) for it's users, not rely on social media!

Agreed. That is why we do. :)

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 138

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

@Will said:

Agreed. That is why we do. :)

Hey Ian, After reading through this whole thread, I more fully understand your perspective.

w

;0)

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

I did just that, but my account was suspended shortly after joining the open and 2 closed groups. I assume it was their real name policy, or the fact that I used an obscure celebrity's photo when they required a photo during signup. Appealing the suspension requires sending photo ID (e.g. driver's license). No thanks.

I'm a little upset that I missed out on the 2.1 beta drop. But it's been a busy month anyway so I probably wouldn't have contributed much to testing.

Anyway I get the decision to use Facebook and I'm ok with that, but I hope there isn't anything else aside from early beta testing that requires me to be in the FB groups. I do wish more people used this forum, or even the r/DelugeUsers subreddit, but FB is pretty ubiquitous so I can't complain.

Any important discussion that we start, I also post here. However, yeah, there is bound to be missed conversation - though this works both ways, FB users are missing out on tons of feature discussion and the other threads that popular here.
    Bugger that FB kicked you off. Some wiseass needs to create a FB profile generator which creates an original AI generated image and name to use for signups. I feel this would be popular.