Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

'Time Signature Lock' Command/Mode

I'm using Deluge primarily as a compositional tool and ran into a workflow issue that might have a solution. I do apologize if this sort of thing has been suggested before. I looked around a bit through this channel to see if a similar mode had been proposed before, and I was unable to find a suggestion like this.

"Time Signature Lock"/"Phrase-Length Lock"
When working in a shortened time signature (3/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8), tracks longer than one bar are displayed out of sync due to how Deluge displays track length. I'd recommend creating a per-track 'time signature lock' setting. When enabled, a time signature lock would display each bar in a track as having the same length, so that the "1" of every bar matches the left-most column on the Deluge. In this hypothetical mode, I'd also recommend changing the color of the 'greyed out' area that extends past the bar line if the current bar is not the final bar in a track. One potential command for this operation could be 'Shift' + 'cross-screen' + 'push <> knob'.

Example 1:
A track with a 7-beat phrase is multiplied once using the 'time signature lock' command. The track would then have a total of two screens with 7 beats displayed on each screen.

When zoomed in or when working with time signatures that extend past the Deluge's screen (9-beat phrases, 15-beat phrases, etc.), I'd also recommend the scroll position indicator while 'time signature lock' mode is active displays the current bar number rather than the current screen number.

Example 2:
A track with a 15-beat phrase is multiplied once with the 'time signature lock' command. The track would then have a total of four screens (8-beat, 7-beat, 8-beat, 7-beat). The scroll position indicator would display the current bar number (1.2, 1.2, 2.2, 2.2) as opposed to the Deluge's standard scroll position indicator behavior of displaying the current screen number (1.4, 2.4, 3.4, 4.4).

While 'time signature lock' is enabled, adjusting track length should be restricted to the bar level.

Example 3:
A track with a 12-beat phrase is multiplied once with the 'time signature lock' command. The track would then have a total of four screens (8, 4, 8, 4), and each screen is displayed by the scroll position indicator respectively as (1.2, 1.2, 2.2, 2.2).
The 'adjust track length' command would still be accomplished with shift + turning the <> knob, but it would remove or add an entire bar for every click of the <> knob as opposed to the standard Deluge behavior of adjusting by single division amounts based on the current zoom level.
Rotating the <> knob one click counter-clockwise leaves you with a single bar (8, 4), and each screen is displayed by the scroll indicator as (1.1, 1.1). Rotating one click clockwise leaves you with three bars (8, 4, 8, 4, 8, 4), and each screen is displayed by the scroll indicator as (1.3, 1.3, 2.3, 2.3, 3.3, 3.3).

Overall, a 'time signature lock'/'phrase-length lock' command would allow the Deluge to function a bit more similar to sheet music notation when approaching unusual time signatures. There are more complicated ways to handle this sort of operation (letting the user assign number of beats per screen, for example), but I'm not sure that additional level of control is necessary or worth the development resources.

Comments

PancitoKill85PancitoKill85 Buenos Aires ArgentinaPosts: 8

This would be very useful and musically appealing

tonyrickerbytonyrickerby south ,pennines ukBeta Tester Posts: 10

this would work for me,it'd make folk music much easier

emptyvesselemptyvessel usaPosts: 30

I often sue multiple time sigs in one piece.... ideas how to approach this?

hurdygurdyhurdygurdy Posts: 37

This would be a very useful addition.

ROGAVKAROGAVKA BerlinPosts: 9

got the same idea today. +++

RasmusJesRasmusJes DenmarkPosts: 4
    edited May 2020

+1. Lack of adjustment to different time signature is the one obstacle hindering my workflow the most on the Deluge. Especially in song mode it is cumbersome to arrange odd time signature sequences.

Post edited by RasmusJes on