Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules & guidelines

Which MIDI keyboard do you recommend for the Deluge?

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie in both music making and specifically the Deluge. This is my first post here.

My birthday is coming up and I'd like to get a non-crap gift :) So I thought about asking for a MIDI keyboard. In my searches I focused mostly on Arturia's offerings because most users seem to be happy with their products.

However, I can't figure out which is better for the Deluge: the MiniLab MKII or the KeyStep. I understand the main differences, but I just don't know which is better specifically with the Deluge. For example, is it a great limitation that the MiniLab MKII only has USB? I have no idea. Also, I'm running Linux on all my computers, so if I need to run an app to configure the keyboard, that is a big obstacle for me.

I would gladly consider any other keyboard, not just Arturia's. My main hopes for a keyboard are:
1. Relatively small
2. Relatively cheap (let's say at most 150$ US)
3. Doesn't require Windows or MAC
4. Interfaces well with the Deluge

Thanks for your time :)

Comments

p_watsp_wats Toronto
    edited October 13

I have a Keystep and it's great. That said, I've had it since before I got my Deluge, so I didn't exactly look for the perfect pairing.

As for the Minilab, the Deluge doesn't send power over USB midi, so if the Minilab is bus-powered I believe you'd have to use a powered hub in between them (though I don't have much experience with USB midi devices).

EDIT: Sorry, the deluge needs a USB host to work with a USB-only MIDI keyboard, so the Minilab won't work.

Post edited by p_wats on

@p_wats said:
    I have a Keystep and it's great. That said, I've had it since before I got my Deluge, so I didn't exactly look for the perfect pairing.

As for the Minilab, the Deluge doesn't send power over USB midi, so if the Minilab is bus-powered I believe you'd have to use a powered hub in between them (though I don't have much experience with USB midi devices).

EDIT: Sorry, the deluge needs a USB host to work with a USB-only MIDI keyboard, so the Minilab won't work.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the info

amiga909amiga909 Switzerland

some options that include a physical midi out and battery operation:
    http://cdm.link/2010/10/hands-on-rock-band-3s-keytar-a-surprisingly-serious-80-midi-keyboard/
    keytar midi controllers had a revival this year: Alesis Vortex or the new Roland Edge

justindavidowjustindavidow Winnipeg, Canada

To be fair; you can use ANY keyboard you like. If you want something small; grab something small! if you want an 88-key monster; go to town!

For keyboards that do not have a MIDI output port; you will need a converter

I personally DO always have a laptop handy to do USB -> midi conversion (no adapters needed; just plug both devices in via USB and route the midi thru in software) and use an Akai MPK Mini (personally an MK1; I've had it for years) but I've actually grown to prefer the Deluge's isometric keyboard view over the last week. (never been a strong piano format player; always liked pads myself)

@justindavidow said:
    To be fair; you can use ANY keyboard you like. If you want something small; grab something small! if you want an 88-key monster; go to town!

For keyboards that do not have a MIDI output port; you will need a converter

I personally DO always have a laptop handy to do USB -> midi conversion (no adapters needed; just plug both devices in via USB and route the midi thru in software) and use an Akai MPK Mini (personally an MK1; I've had it for years) but I've actually grown to prefer the Deluge's isometric keyboard view over the last week. (never been a strong piano format player; always liked pads myself)

That's important info about the converter. Thanks a lot!

I looked into Akai's offerings. They just came out with the MPK Mini Play not long ago. But because it's USB only I decided to not consider it. Maybe I'll look into it again.

I also started thinking that I can be happy with the pads too. It's not like I know anything about music theory to benefit from an actual keyboard. Might just go for something else as a birthday gift.

Thanks again.

@amiga909 said:
    some options that include a physical midi out and battery operation:
    http://cdm.link/2010/10/hands-on-rock-band-3s-keytar-a-surprisingly-serious-80-midi-keyboard/
    keytar midi controllers had a revival this year: Alesis Vortex or the new Roland Edge

Huh! Keytars... that form factor always looked strange to me, but maybe someday :D

amiga909amiga909 Switzerland

Yeah, the new Roland keytar really embraces the go-big-80ies-ghettoblaster style :)
    keytars are designed to work battery powered. Good fit if you are looking for a portable setup based on Deluge. thats why i mentioned them.
    Battery powered controllers seem to show up more recently. Roli stuff, Korg Nanos, and also the new Akai controller. They all lack a physical midi out though.
    Yamaha Reface is another midi out + battery controller: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/reface/specs.html

If you dont care about portability, then any midi controller with a DIN out will do. If you dont mind hooking up a USB to Midi Converter, any controller you like is a good fit for the Deluge i guess.

@amiga909 said:
    Yeah, the new Roland keytar really embraces the go-big-80ies-ghettoblaster style :)
    keytars are designed to work battery powered. Good fit if you are looking for a portable setup based on Deluge. thats why i mentioned them.
    Battery powered controllers seem to show up more recently. Roli stuff, Korg Nanos, and also the new Akai controller. They all lack a physical midi out though.
    Yamaha Reface is another midi out + battery controller: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/reface/specs.html

If you dont care about portability, then any midi controller with a DIN out will do. If you dont mind hooking up a USB to Midi Converter, any controller you like is a good fit for the Deluge i guess.

Good to know. Appreciate it a lot. Thank you :)