Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Audio over USB (aka crossing that Overbridge)

I upvoted the various wav file, bounce down export suggestions but really the dream would be audio over USB with each synth/kit track available on its own channel. Cut out the middleman altogether (especially since you can't get at the Deluge card directly from USB) & it also allows for live performance, x0x style, during tracking. Not sure if it's feasible as the Deluge has practically unlimited tracks but again this is the dream.

Two audio outs is a huge bottleneck for the Deluge, a major block to it becoming a serious production machine. Elektron realized their error on the Analog Four & quickly corrected it on AK + A4 mk2 but use Overbridge for the newer small boxes. I use Deluge as my primary drum machine, which means I have to compromise on drum bounces already (or consider some bad-muju workarounds). Rohan's done great work on the sound engines & lots of scratch tracks win out over my fancier synths. But I have to get very creative with panning, plus live with a fully-mixed drum stem from the Deluge & even then it's going to be hard to use more than 3-4 Deluge sounds on a recording.

Overbridge took forever for Elektron so it may be pie-in-the-sky. I could live with .wav + midi file exports!

Comments

mbangmbang Gothenburg, SwedenPosts: 61

Would be great but i myself would be happy "just" to be able to pull separate tracks out of USB without getting near the overbridge functionality - look at how long elektron has tried and they still can´t get it right!
    But to get multiple outs from Deluge, in any way, would be a dream come true.
    I agree that it´s a bottleneck, i think that if we just could have at least 4 extra tracks out it would be a major improvement.
    Would love to get a diy hardware mod for this if USB audio is not up for grabs.

jipumarinojipumarino CaliforniaPosts: 21

I would love something like this, class compliant USB audio with separate tracks would be huge for me, just for applying separate effects for each track. It's one of the things I expect to see in a future Mk2 though, along with a strip of pads with velocity and aftertouch.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

was discussed a few times http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/3389
    A user said it is impossible due to the hardware. Explanation makes sense, but don't know about that for sure. I second the argument a Deluge-Overbridge is just out of scope for a 1-Dev company anyway. Even if its Rohan :)
    If sales continue to go well, a MK2 and more developers that could specialize on DAW integrations make more sense.

mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 98

Look at the difficulties of Elektron with Overbridge, Access with their Virus, or Teenage Engineering with OPZ.
    This kind of technologies seems very very difficult to program and require a lot of time of testing/programming. So I don't know if it is a good idea for a 1-dev company.
    I will be happy if, at least, we get multitrack audio bouncing, so we can export the individual tracks to our DAW for further mixing. And I think Ian mentioned it could be possible in a Super-Booth video this May.

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

Yeah, too complex and fraught with difficulties due to the myriad of platforms that would need supporting/testing. And the ongoing support with every OS update.

Please don't go down this rabbit hole - unless I explicitly bought something as an to interface with a computer I prefer my devices as 'standalone' as possible. ;)

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

I agree it would be ambitious but AFAIK, the Deluge is one of the few samplers that allows streaming (& mangling) directly from the SD card, something that the devs at Akai, Korg & Elektron didn't manage (at the time I owned them). I wouldn't necessarily underestimate Rohan's ability to devise a "guerilla" solution to this.

But really, all I want is some way to get at the Deluge's audio & MIDI tracks individually, that doesn't require potentially hours of real-time individual bouncedowns. Don't really care to manipulate the Deluge from my DAW, which I'd assume adds quite a lot of the complexity for Overbridge.

Reviewing Ian's intro to the suggestions forum (after I posted this suggestion, hehe) is interesting:

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    We already have a bunch of ideas we believe would be able to work on the existing hardware and would love to see featured but can’t offer any sort of implementation timeline just yet, some of these features include:

Copy / load just one track in from another saved song (DONE)
    Streaming audio directly from SD card (DONE)
    Live processing of audio input (DONE)
    MIDI file import / export
    WAV file export / mixdown
    Resampling
    (DONE)

Also, some really significant additions which we understand the demand for but are not part of our roadmap at the moment, though may in the future, include:
    Software editor
    DAW integration

So they've already addressed this situation very early on (my boo-boo). BUT of the features Ian mentioned, the only 2 left undone are MIDI & WAV file export! I guess they've decided to prioritize the live performance aspects of it over the production side but I hope they haven't forgotten about it because it's important to a lot of us Delugers & would really take the Deluge to the next level.

Maybe it's because of the flashing colors & lack of I/O but there is some perception out there that the Deluge is a "toy" & not a serious machine for people who need to get work done. You see it a lot in threads where people ask for sequencers & someone will chime in with Deluge (including me on the DSI forum) & people will dismiss it. It's a little unfair but I bought a Squarp Pyramid over the weekend so it's not totally wide of the mark. While nothing can be done about things like the screen & I/O, right now from a production standpoint, the Deluge is the world's most awesome demo machine. MIDI & WAV file import/export instantly changes that, IMO. If on top of that, Rohan added a little more power on the MIDI/CV side like MIDI FX & modulatable CV, I'd sell the Squarp post-haste. Writing actual music on the Deluge is so much faster & funner than the Squarp but then I'm handing over the MIDI files to the Squarp to finish the production. It's like a movie where some small-town police have the Feds come in a murder investigation. BTW, this requires I play the midi into a DAW & then edit the files down ... not the best workflow ... but at least it's only a one-time real-time bounce as opposed to WAV files.

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited August 2018

DVB, we haven't prioritised other things specifically, it's just there are huge UI changes for those two remaining features, they are being worked on, as well as a ton of refinements to existing workflow and also a whole bunch of new features. Trust us, haha, we know everything you you can think of before you think of it. We've lived and breathed Deluge for years and I spend every day reading multiple different forums opinions on it as well as speaking with users in person constantly, there isn't anything we aren't aware of :) My feature/refinement spreadsheet/roadmap (don't ask to see it, lol) is epic.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    DVB, we haven't prioritised other things specifically, it's just there are huge UI changes for those two remaining features, they are being worked on, as well as a ton of refinements to existing workflow and also a whole bunch of new features. Trust us, haha, we know everything you you can think of before you think of it. We've lived and breathed Deluge for years and I spend every day reading multiple different forums opinions on it as well as speaking with users in person constantly, there isn't anything we aren't aware of :) My feature/refinement spreadsheet/roadmap (don't ask to see it, lol) is epic.

No doubt ... the Deluge couldn't be the box it is without all that you guys have poured into it. I don't presume to give you any new ideas but rather just share my perspective & maybe squeak a little so that you guys fix my greasy wheels!

Though now that I have the Pyramid (which combines so well with the Deluge, like Duke & Strayhorn or Strummer & Jones or something), I'm quite content to pipe down about the sequencer & am stoked that Rohan's gonna soup up the sampler side. In fact ... hold my beer ...

3lakstar3lakstar United StatesPosts: 1

@Ian_Jorgensen said:

Any update on these features? I love the Deluge and think that it really outclasses anything else out there. I appreciate the frequent updates and amount of work you all poor into this magic box. This would be super cool to have a more streamlined way to get the tracks off it.

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

first step i think would be allowing folder access and a bounce to stems function. The issue is that the deluges processor would have to also run a usb audio stack itself to encode the audio stream and handle identifying itself to the computer, not sure how expensive that is cpu wise and it only gets worse with more channels. I have looked at actually tacking on to the i2s or headphone/mic stream and running a separate class compliant usb audio iterface ic on an add on board. Don't really want to solder in the deluge tho...

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited November 2020

Maybe someone mentioned, but what about a so to say batch option, much like an action in photoshop which takes care of numerous steps for you. For example a settings option for export tracks, you click it and the deluge starts playing/exporting all tracks one by one on the card, with effects, without, both, all this set in the settings.

Post edited by volsteh on

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?