Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sidechaining external targets with midi cc

It would be nice if it was possible to use sidechaining on external targets, like the volume or cutoff freq of an external synth or the gain of a digital mixer channel, so you can create pumping/ducking effects on external instruments :)

I love sidechain compression, but I use mainly external synths, which I run through a digital mixer which is capable to receive midi cc to change fader levels of its channels. Would be nice to be able to trigger a kickdrum (also an external drummachine) in Deluge which in turn triggers an envelope that sends midi to the mixer to create this ducking effect.

Peace!

Comments

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

It would be nice to be able to send any mod source out to external gear via midi CC.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

I was just thinking about it something:

It would be even better if the Deluge line input could be "converted" to an envelope follower or something like that. So the input will trigger an envelope which you can send to any external device by midi or to internal parameters, like a synth's volume or cutoff.

This would be a cheap solution to get sidechain compression/ducking in hardware without an expensive hardware compressor, mixer and a lot of cables etc.

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

I need the line input :smiley:
    But i dont need the headphones output. I still think the CC solution is more flexible.

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

I also miss sidechain for external synths. The only other way to get this would be via external sidechain compressor and the results wouldn't be as clean as the deluge could offer:

The MIDI Track menu already has PGM, SUB, ARP, BNK etc

So it could use another entry SIDE =>
    1. press to select the CC Number (0 to 127).
    2. press again to select direction that sidechain will affect the CC (-127 to 127)

This way, we could link sidechain to an external synth VCA level or Filter freq CC. And different for each midi track. E.g. the novation peak has CC29 for Filter Frequency while other synths have different CC numbers.

The sidechain value ideally has to be relative to the current CC value of the patch - I don't know if thats possible with MIDI in general. Otherwise it would need a 3. submenu where the base value can be set for the CC.

Cheers

chrischris Posts: 5

+1 to have more mod sources to send via midi cc and cv output

JimmyRustleJimmyRustle CanadaPosts: 1

+1 for this feature request

I use the Deluge primarily for drum kits and sequencing and would love to be able to send it via MIDI (ex: map it to Breath) so I can modulate external gear.