Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Context Based Shortcuts & High Visibility Overlay

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

One of the main advantages of the Deluge is it's compactness, but it can also be difficult to see the shortcut menu in low-light conditions (as many musicians operate under).
Assuming many of the requested functions are added to the firmware, you're going to run out of shortcuts on the first "level". Additionally, the white text on black background of the menu overlay limits the options for effectively color-coding it (red text on black = invisible).
One idea would be to break the sound editor down into different "sections" that would correspond to a particular color on the overlay, and each "section" would open a different range of shortcuts (like menu diving, but easier).
There's about 4 millimeters of usable area between each pad.

Post edited by workergray on

Comments

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128
    edited June 2017

Love the idea!
    I printed the editor shortcuts one-page-pdf and colored sections:
    osc=yellow,env=blue,filters=red,effects=green, mixer=orange
    some combination of keys (shift push) could show these sections on 8x16 as colored map.
    on top of this the brightness could indicate level of the parameter 50=full brightness 0 = lowest brightness visible

what do you think ?

ps: I already use the shortcut editor to see what modulation control Cutoff, pan, etc. is engaged (white blinking light)

Post edited by funktree on

Great ideas, Mr. Tree! I especially like brightness indicator-- as an addition to the numerical data on the LED screen on top.
    I haven't received my overlay yet (there was a problem with production) so I had to make my own. I tell you it was a BITCH to make those rows fit between the pads but I did it. (that's 4 millimeters-- I measured it)
    I have it color coded in as much as it has colored boxes around the vertical groups, but those colors repeat across the entire overlay. I mainly did it so I wouldn't have any color next to itself (like a yellow group next to another yellow group) It looks kind of like one of those application specific computer keyboard overlays.
    I avoided abbreviations wherever possible so almost everything is spelled out. There are parts of the official overlay (OSC1/OSC2) where the writing is on the side of the pad and there is a line that indicates that parameter is applied to the pad beside it------ I did away with that and spelled it all out.
    I may revise it to better "cluster" the groups (two shades of pink for oscillators, etc.)

rjegarjega switzerlandBeta Tester Posts: 13

workergray, is your DIY overlay also magnetig? if yes, how exactly did you make it?

First I measured the pads and the space between the pads (pads are 10mm square, space is 5mm)
    Then I drew out the grid in Illustrator and typed the shortcuts out.
    I tried to give about 1/2 millimeter of breathing room around the pads which gave 4mm of usable space. I used 6point type-- Myriad Pro-- semibold.
    I tried to put the sections in blocks of light colors so I could discern them from the sections next to them--- but it was all on a white background. I only used 4 colors, I just shuffled them around.
    Next I laminated it and cut it out.
    I didn't bother with the columns- that's a lot of squares with not much room for error - just the rows with connecting end columns.
    After that was done, I took a refrigerator magnet (the flat kind they often print little calendars on) and cut little pieces out to glue to the corners of the overlay.
    It wasn't perfect, but it worked and EVERYTHING was labelled and visible..