Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Real MIDI templates + fewer MIDI learn restrictions

Problem: with all the presets that come with the deluge and all the ones I have created in the months since I got the Deluge it is unrealistic to go through each one and MIDI learn them. If I understand correctly the workaround is making a making a MIDI learned preset that you save over and over again. This actually defeats the purpose of having a presets sounds; though you have parameters that are MIDIfied the user has a lot of programming to do to get a drastically different sound.

AFAIK connecting a MIDI button with momentary or incremental functions (i.e. to change OSC type) is also problematic. This could be worked around if we knew a little more about how values are clipped in parameters with on or off functions or with very few parameters (i.e. is 'off' 0 and 'on' 1 or 127?)

There are also parameters that are simply not MIDI learnable, e.g. in the global effects section

Solution(?): Ability to make a MIDI template that can be applied to a preset, possibly with one strict but changeable MIDI channel per template. This would be somewhat akin to a multitimbral synth where instruments are differentiated by MIDI channel and could take the form of a template per synth type (FM / subtractive) or kit. I'm certain this is no easy task but it would greatly expand performance possibilities.

Alternatively, maybe there would be a way to do this in downrush(?)

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

upvote for more midi learnable params in general. the more the merrier.
    global learns for stuff like the global fx would be very helpful.
    could be done in the config menu where u can already set global learns for play, stop, .. u do it once so doesnt need direct access. also have the option to leave a param unassigned if it cripples ur current setup.

templates: for me this is only needed for midi tracks, not kit or synth. copying a preset is ok for me.
    more about external hardware for me. it should be possible to name cc values, so u know what u do when turning a knob, eg. cc 17 shows as Attk.
    could work like this:
    have MIDI_TEMPLATES as a new folder on the sd card root as xml files. manage these xml files on the computer.
    holding shift while turning select lets u access the midi template xmls instead of the usual midi presets. if a midi template is loaded, midi cc mapping, channel, etc. is imported into a new preset.
    make midi templates shareable. the user base will supply templates for tons of external gear in no time.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

still a good idea :)

@amiga909 said:
    upvote for more midi learnable params in general. the more the merrier.
    global learns for stuff like the global fx would be very helpful.
    could be done in the config menu where u can already set global learns for play, stop, .. u do it once so doesnt need direct access. also have the option to leave a param unassigned if it cripples ur current setup.

templates: for me this is only needed for midi tracks, not kit or synth. copying a preset is ok for me.
    more about external hardware for me. it should be possible to name cc values, so u know what u do when turning a knob, eg. cc 17 shows as Attk.
    could work like this:
    have MIDI_TEMPLATES as a new folder on the sd card root as xml files. manage these xml files on the computer.
    holding shift while turning select lets u access the midi template xmls instead of the usual midi presets. if a midi template is loaded, midi cc mapping, channel, etc. is imported into a new preset.
    make midi templates shareable. the user base will supply templates for tons of external gear in no time.

yes +1 on this