Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

what is the difference between poly and auto synth voice modes?

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

I can’t hear it but I’m guessing it’s more apparent in particular circumstances or with certain patches. What’s a good way to understand what’s going on?

Best Answers

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    Answer ✓

Its a CPU/voice management feature that acts as a mono when single notes sound, and can become poly when notes get stacked. No real sound change as far as I know, just saves processor resources.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107
    Answer ✓

That makes no sense. Doesn't every single polyphonic algorithm use only a single voice ( virtual or not ) when a single note is used? There must be something else going on...

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓

Im not reading that from a manual, but just going by what I've read from a post of Rohan's regarding a firmware change:
    "-- POLY means polyphonic
    -- MONO means monophonic, strictly (this is new)
    -- AUTO (previously called "OFF") means monosynth behaviour, unless you actually play overlapping notes, in which case it'll allow you to play them polyphonically
    -- LEGA means legato. In this mode, portamento only applies when notes overlap"

Post edited by minigoat on
    o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107
    Answer ✓

So since playing a 2nd note in AUTO mode will switch to POLY mode and start a 2nd voice engine to play that note, and when in either MONO, AUTO, or even POLY a single not only use a single voice engine, the only thing I can think of that could be different between playing only one note at a time in MONO, AUTO and POLY is that in both MONO and AUTO when another note played before the 1st note's release stage is finished the envelope is interupted and the previous note is cut of.

in every single mode, playing only one notes at a time sounds exactly the same, and with more than one note, both POLY and AUTO sound the same ( play 2 notes ) while MONO and LEGATO only play one note.

Answers

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Must be that poly mode is a continuous higher cpu usage. Would make sense to use auto if a lot of synth tracks are used and only play chords or use long releases in note runs that overlap occasionally.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@o0_ said:
    So since playing a 2nd note in AUTO mode will switch to POLY mode and start a 2nd voice engine to play that note, and when in either MONO, AUTO, or even POLY a single not only use a single voice engine, the only thing I can think of that could be different between playing only one note at a time in MONO, AUTO and POLY is that in both MONO and AUTO when another note played before the 1st note's release stage is finished the envelope is interupted and the previous note is cut of.

just tried it, thanks for pointing this out. can confirm release time can get cut with AUTO, whereas POLY will not.
    my example:
    init synth
    crank up release to almost max
    place a few notes
    switch AUTO to POLY, difference is audible easily

the voice stealing algorithm might also limit release time, not sure about that.
    the manual could be more clear about that, like AUTO = „polyphonic but monophonic release“