Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Easier external midi control

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

Since the 2.0 update, midi control has been vastly improved!! Thanks for that. There is only one thing that would make it even better imo:

When deluge receives midi note data from a controller that is not assigned to any of the tracks, it should play the currently selected track (at least in track view).

This would make it so much easier to use one keyboard to record multiple instruments one after the other.

Just select the track, hit record, hit record again, select the next track, hit record, etc.

Really useful for live performances when you'd like to loop record and overdub live.

Obviously, when a controller is linked to a specific track, it is "locked" and should only and always play that track (untill it is unlinked again), just like how it works now.

Post edited by MPrinsen on

Comments

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

I dunno about this - it sounds nice in theory but when you have a bunch of midi devices hooked up to the Deluge (as I do) it could get really confusing. I get confused as it is with 'midi echo' type issues!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

If there was a way of allocating a device as a 'master keyboard' that operated as you describe above that might work, but I think doing it on any midi input would be too fraught with issues.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Much better to have a “auto channel” feature in settings, with settings for 1-16, any, off. That would give most flexibility I think.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

Agreed. setting a specific auto channel ( see the feature on the Elektron Digitakt, for example ) makes more sense than just sending all unassigned midi channels to the current track. Imagine what would happen if an external sequencer, rather than a controller is used? the Deluge would basically steal notes intended for other synths on the same MIDI port.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

Ok I agree. Setting a channel to assign a global "master keyboard" would work even better. As long as you we don't have to assign/unassign every time again.

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Not sure what would be difficult in having a feature to auto focus the master keyboard to whichever current track you are working on. My mv8800 does this with ease. Using midi din in from keyboard. I highlight a midi track or internal sampler engine track and it instantly gets the focus of the master keyboard. Most DAWs allow easy routing like this too. It’s setup as a template. I think it being default for a new song would be good, then the ability to change via submenu options would be nice if you needed another type of routing or specific to use a particular channel as input. I keep my controller keyboard on midi channel one for my mv8800 and it auto translates to midi channel of selected track.

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

Agreed, I do the same thing with the Pyramid, controller is set to ch. 1, and is automatically routed to the active track. Same thing with the Elektron's auto-channel, so you can control how the routing works.

tffshtttffshtt berlinPosts: 53

Yes, sprawling, confusing issue...I don't know about auto focus but the fact that MIDI learned parameters are per preset is confusing...I can't see any advantages of doing it this way. With the arrival of 2.0, I was naively hoping for the ability to create a collection of MIDI templates that we could apply to the instruments we are trying to control.

AndreasAndreas DenmarkPosts: 3

+1 for “auto channel” feature. Would be great. The current method is tedious.