Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules & guidelines

Tips and Tricks

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usa

Share and read about those Deluge tips and tricks here!

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik Norway
    edited July 10

Kit sampling w/ slick monitoring and direct pad auto-assignment:

Go into Settings->Monitor and set it to ON

In your new Kit, add row(s) and set the Type to INLR.

Connect your sampling source to the Deluge and play it (not the Deluge)

Hold down the Audition pad for the kit row you just made and you will hear the sampling input.

While still holding the audition pad, hit the Record button when you want to start sampling. Hit it again to stop.

The row type will automatically be converted to SAMPle type and the newly recorded sample assigned to it (normalised).

Post edited by Icoustik on
    IcoustikIcoustik Norway

Emulate sound of old-school samplers 45RPM vinyl sampling technique

Take a sample, pitch it up 5 semitones which is the equivalent of 45RPM vinyl speed pitch shifting.
    Apply just a bit of decimation (or more, OR apply outboard sample rate reduction/ bitcrushing), and either now or after the next process, add a drive filter to the sample, open just to get the saturation from it (adjust OSC vol going into the filter to adjust the drive).

Then, resample it (Rec+Play if loop, or Rec+the aud. pad of the sample otherwise).

Load and pitch the resample down 5 semitones again, and you'll get some of that old school grit.
    Sample rate reduction + saturation + pitching artifacts = crunchy

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware place

When editing sounds you can hold down audition pads and press the shortcuts rather than having to press shift all the time, much better.

amiga909amiga909 Switzerland

@darenager said:
    When editing sounds you can hold down audition pads and press the shortcuts rather than having to press shift all the time, much better.

Didnt know that, great!

@Icoustik said:
    Kit sampling w/ slick monitoring and direct pad auto-assignment:

Go into Settings->Monitor and set it to ON

In your new Kit, add row(s) and set the Type to INLR.

Connect your sampling source to the Deluge and play it (not the Deluge)

Hold down the Audition pad for the kit lane you just made and you will hear the sampling input.

While still holding the audition pad, hit the Record button when you want to start sampling. Hit it again to stop.

The row type will automatically be converted to SAMPle type and the newly recorded sample assigned to it (normalised).

Did not realize the osc type was auto set to sample after recording. Very cool. Ive been using a synth track as my line in track. I need to experiment with kits as a way to grab semi random sampling bits on the fly. Thats kind of close to the recording trigs on the octatrack tho, not as automated.

@alien_brain. Dang. I can see that as a really fluid way to compose and improvise variations once youve got it all setup. Thinking with @Icoustik tip of recording direct into a kit row could make the process of adding layers even quicker.

edited July 10

Possibly an obvious one but for multi-sampling an external midi or cv synth (or an internal one) lay out a sequence of notes in triplets view (12 notes to a page at whatever zoom level you want the notes to last for) for example C1-B4 using midi/cv or internal track, mute all your other tracks and use the rec+play resample (remembering if sampling an external synth to run it nto the input) sample the whole phrase making sure that it fits equally into say 4 bars, then load it into a kit using slice mode with the appropriate number of slices eg 48.

Post edited by darenager on

Another slice tip - you can load a sample by slicing into a kit and then go into each slices start and end points to change them, you can even have slices which overlap, or if you want you can have a slice play the whole sample, also you can change the order of slices by noting down the start and end points. Remember to use the audition pads to enter the shortcuts rather than shift, the only slight downside is that you need to press back to enter the shortcuts after each slice. I hope that in future the OS can be tweaked so that pressing back is unnecessary and each press of an audition shortcut can jump out of the last into the current slice/pad.

IcoustikIcoustik Norway
    edited July 12

Small detail: when in a sound editor parameter, pressing one of the grid pads once functions like 'back' and takes you outta there quicker than pressing the back button f.ex. 2-3 times when making a new kit and exiting the file browser rather than loading a sample :)

Post edited by Icoustik on
    edited July 11

^ Good shout, thanks for the reminder @Icoustik ;)

Post edited by darenager on
    edited August 9

Just found you can run the arp on the external line-in source.

and keeping the "octaves" setting to 1 gets you a slicer effect on the input.

Post edited by minigoat on
    pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.

Step automation is really per note rather than per step. From the manual:

“Automation can also be manually set "per step". Simply hold down a note's pad in ​track view, and turn a ​parameter knob. The parameter value will be set just for the region of time beginning at that note and ending at the start of the next note.”

So if I’ve entered a whole note, for instance, I cannot “step” automate the filter cutoff to open every quarter beat.

To create per step automation- I input a “false” note at the place and for the duration I want the step effect, press the pad for that note, adjust the gold knob, then I erase the note but the automation remains.