Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

SYSEX

FakeWorkFakeWork Mid-west_USAPosts: 4

I'm not sure how it would work, but if I could program the parameter knobs to send sysex it would breath new life into old synths and save me the trouble of dealing with faulty encoders. More so an incremental?? sysex message (left turn = message right = message) hard to explain, but it doesn't seem to be available in any controllers. I know a lot of synth guys are using computers for sysex on old gear but adding a high level sysex control to deluge would help alot of guys loose the mouse and get back to working knobs. Packaged with the sequencer would make the deluge the perfect update for old studios and rigs.

Post edited by FakeWork on

Comments

FakeWorkFakeWork Mid-west_USAPosts: 4

Yeah, I have used novation sl zero. It's got good midi and sysex ability. But some things like controlling rotary encoders needs a sysex string that functions like a pitch mod wheel, +/- 1,2,3 what ever and then back to rest. Thats hard to find. Can't imagine I'm the only one that's ever had this problem, akai s2000. Ipads can do a good job at all this, might end up going that way but would be awesome to use the deluge.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@FakeWork said:
    I'm not sure how it would work, but if I could program the parameter knobs to send sysex it would breath new life into old synths and save me the trouble of dealing with faulty encoders. More so an incremental?? sysex message (left turn = message right = message) hard to explain, but it doesn't seem to be available in any controllers.

I agree with alienbrain. This is surely not a top priority for Deluge. Sysex was not made for realtime control, afaik no sequencer (software and hardware) supports this in a easy to use fashion. Because it can get very complicated.
    There are many problems, for example hardware not made to react realtime to Sysex, Sysex value range > 128 steps, etc..
    You could use a computer or something like BomeBox to map CC's to Sysex String so you can automate stuff on the Deluge.
    I've done a few sysex implementations with Behringer BCR2000. It is quite easy to do by sniffing out sysex strings with Midiquest, turn a knob in MidiQuest GUI and grab the Sysex strings. Faster than using a sysex reference for me. I use sysex control to change Arp patterns on the Roland JP8000.

tffshtttffshtt berlinPosts: 53

SYSEX is tough...I have done a lot of experimenting with ipad and remote sl being my favorite options..the oldschool software sequencers (digital performer and cubase) do a pretty good job of handling it.