Error loading songs
I’ve had my Deluge for about a week and I’m already in love. Best piece of gear I’ve ever owned.
Everything has been working great, no issues. Today, however, I turn it on to review some tracks I made last night and discovered that some versions of the more recent tracks I’ve made do not load. I just get “error” on the display.
The odd thing is I’m fairly certain I never opened or edited a couple of the songs that are no longer loading but were working fine last night. So I’m not sure what happened there. I’ve still got the first few versions of those songs so it’s not all lost but I’m pretty bummed out about losing the recent changes. Hoping I can salvage some of it.
Had anyone here seen this? Any idea what causes this?
Also, this is a PSA to back up your work! I will be periodically dumping my SD card songs and patches to a disk for safe keeping from now on.
One more detail that may be helpful, I was jamming last night and I cranked the delay wayyyy up which caused a feedback loop which locked up the system and required me to reboot the Deluge. I’m wondering if that had something to do with it.
Any help you can provide is much appreciated.
UPDATE: I was able to recover old versions/iterations of the songs that did not save correctly. After examining the SD card on my Mac, I noticed that the problematic songs (that showed 'error' on the display) had zero kb's, they were zeroed out, empty files. They opened with an editor so they weren't corrupt, they were just blank.
I used TestDisk and PhotoRec to recover the songs. I successfully copied older versions of the problematic song files that remained on the SD card but hadn't actually been overwritten by anything.
Synthstrom responded right away and explained they had not heard of this issue before.
At this point, I'm leaning towards SD card failure and/or low-battery while attempting to save changes. Going forward, I will be replacing the SD card and making sure I have a sufficient charge before saving.
Thanks everyone for the input!