Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

I badly need to reorganize my SD card, but will it mess my projects up?

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

So I bought a 5gb sample pack from eBay to fill up my Deluge's SD card, but it's a total mess and badly needs reorganizing....however I've stupidly started quite a lot of projects already using some of these samples, is there any way I can fix this without messing my projects up?

Comments

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

mhm .. no .. i have the same problem ..

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Isn’t current sample names and paths somewhere in the song xml file? Couldn’t the samples be moved and xml edited?

yes .. i think so .. it is included in the XML file.. so with a small tool it could be done automatically ..
    that would be cool .. something like a sample manager / merger

beakerbeaker AdelaideBeta Tester Posts: 44

Yep, paths are in the XML files.

I've done edits without issue. Best if you have a text editor that can do global search/replace - I use sublimetext and it works just fine.

Also .. simply keep a backup before tinkering.

fluteheadflutehead Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 36

Also, the Downrush editor helps to get a visual understanding how stuff is linked.
    Then, I also used a text editor to globally search and replace file paths.

Thanks for the suggestions, the problem I have is that many of these samples have file names that the Deluge cannot read, so I need to do a lot of batch renaming, which means its going to be difficult locating the samples I've already used.

The Deluge needs a 'collect all & save' function, I'm really hoping they can add that in 2.0.

i renamed a lot of sampels in the beginning with 001-999
    in folders like BD and HH and SD.

@dest4b said:
    i renamed a lot of sampels in the beginning with 001-999
    in folders like BD and HH and SD.

Yeah I really regret not doing this in the first place

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Same

No indication that any sample managment will be implemented in the next frimware release. Looks like we need to either hope downrush gets the feature or learn how to use a text editor and hopefull not corrupt any files doing so. Anyone have any suggestions as to where one would start to learn how to use an editor for these files? Windows 7 here with no prior editing software/code clue.

@minigoat said:
    No indication that any sample managment will be implemented in the next frimware release. Looks like we need to either hope downrush gets the feature or learn how to use a text editor and hopefull not corrupt any files doing so. Anyone have any suggestions as to where one would start to learn how to use an editor for these files? Windows 7 here with no prior editing software/code clue.

You could use any xml editor for this. As long as you are simply changing one valid path and file name for another valid path and file name (same file name or different if you have renamed it or want to swap samples) it should work without issue. I recommend using an experimental song and create a new folder under SAMPLES with a few files in there. Browse to your samples in the new folder for a kit track or synth track using a sample as oscillator when you create your experimental song. Move the file, then open the song xml and find the sample in the kit and rewrite the path to your correct new path and see if it opens ok again as a Song on the Deluge.

Thanks @Vondragonnoggin. The downrush software has an editor that you can open and rename paths, but I found that really tedious and error prone, as in some of the song files i saved came up as crashes i reported in the current beta test group and Rohan found the words flashair embedded in the files...so that could either be an sdcard issue, a downrush issue or user error. But since then ive not involved any downrush/flashair components in my deluge projects just for trouble shooting simplicity. But that said, my time with digging thru the song code to find all instances of samples was not clear cut in my case. Ive heard mention of some scripting that would sort and replace which would be ideal.
    Ive just since started giving every song its own dedicated sample folder inside the main samples folder and stopping to copy in every sample used and then resaving the new pathway everytime. Slow, but it works well enough.

Ok. Well, advice should work for others not using downrush or wanting to try organizing.

I know I will be doing this soon.

Right. Thats why i asked. Hoping maybe some new approach was out there or at least could make a way known for others to try. Thanks again!

The user and all related content has been deleted.